When a 1yr old is walking around furniture how long does it take him to let go and walk on his own? i know every baby is different.

TiffanyWN

Asked by TiffanyWN at 10:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sit on the floor and call him to u,he will come.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Not long. SOunds like he's building confidence. Good luck!
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• you're right, every kid is different. I know with my son, he started doing the furniture thing before he started crawling at 8 months. He took his first independent steps at 9 months and was walking by 10. He was confident! Don't push it though, your baby will walk when he's good and ready!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My DD just turned 1 yr Jan 24th, and she's been working her way around tables & furniture for several months now. She was following me from the kitchen yesterday and walked nearly 15 steps by herself all because I had a bowl of jell-o and she wanted it. lol But don't worry I'm sure your child will get there very soon as will mine, they just have to work on the whole balance thing. ;-)
    JMCorbin84

Answer by JMCorbin84 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• it really depends how long it takes them to build up confidence to let go. could be anywhere from today to weeks from now. just keep encouraging him to come to you and soon enough he will :) he sounds close!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• He's pretty close. My son cruised around on the furniture for about 1.5-2 months before actually walking across the room, but he's a very careful one. I saw him walking in his crib (there's a soft mattress and easy to reach railings for when he fell) for weeks before he actually tried to walk across our hardwood floors. :) Guess he wanted to be more sure of what he's doing before trying it on a hard surface.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• my little one did it for months before actually walking. she walked exactly on her 1st birthday but the weekend before she was trying more and more. its all in the time when they feel ready. enjoy it when the baby is not walking because now they truelly get into everything. i would love for her to go back to crawling it seems like ages ago. enjoy your little one.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yeah it won't be too long. Make a huge deal out of it when he lets go, whether he takes a step or not to let him know you'e proud. Our sons walked early but I know a friend whose son didn't start until he was about 15 months. There's a wide range when they're this young
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• How long has he been doing that? But i do agree with if you sit down and call for him and encourage him.. He'll want to do it. and he'll think more postive in his brain :)
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 11:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• my 1 yr old is still doing this has been for a while now
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011