When can I let my son have bears, & pillows in the crib without worrying about suffocation? I also have the thing that prevents them from turning while they sleep, when should I let him sleep without it?

nates_mommi

Asked by nates_mommi at 7:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I may be the odd one out here but I've always had stuff in the crib with all 3 of my kids. Not big things or pillows but I've had a few small stuffed animals in there from the beginning. I also never used the positioning thing. I'd say you could use it though until it doesn't work anymore. My little girl started rolling over a few weeks ago and now nothing will stop her so if I did use it I would have taken it out then.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 8:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I also always had stuff in the crib with my boys. I never used the positioning thing. My 6 month old has a few stuffed animals and toys in his crib that he plays with when he wakes up. The stuffed animals have always been in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I would be more concerned about suffocation before they start rolling over both ways. If they accidentally roll or turn into one of the stuffed animals or pillows, they can roll into something and not be able to roll away. Once they are rolling over both ways, it is safer to let them have toys in the crib.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Well, sleep positioners actually pose a hazard - just like anything extra in the crib.
    Once he can roll over easily, you can put small stuffies and light blankets in his crib. He won't need a pillow for a couple of years since his head is so much bigger than his shoulders compared to ours.
    This is a good time to pick something you want him to "bond" with - a favorite stuffed animal he will drag around for the next few years. Pick something soft & cuddly but something a preschooler would be proud to take to show and tell. Then buy 2 or 3 of them. Rotate them in the wash so they have even wear and take one with you EVERYWHERE.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Oh, and I admit it too... I had a couple of tiny stuffed animals in my DD's crib early on. I also started using a light blanket when she was a couple of months old.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• thanx ladies
    nates_mommi

Answer by nates_mommi at 1:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• As a childcare professional, I would recommend to keep everything out of the crib until at least 9 months old. The thing that keeps him from turning over, can be more harmful than helpful. The child needs to be allowed to turn over. Once he can turn over and hold his head up by himself, he is fine. Of course, always position on his back, but once he can roll over himeself, you do not have to reposition him. He will move when he needs too.
    catlee2127

Answer by catlee2127 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Both of my children were not quite 9 months old when we gave them their first "loveys". They were well over a year before we started using pillows...there just wasn't a need for it.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My kids always had blankets and stuffies in their cribs and I never used a positioner. once they learned to roll over (which was at 3 months for 2 of them) they were free to sleep however they wanted which was usually on their stomachs (they still sleep that way).

From the time they were born they were swaddled in a homemade quilt that my husband has had since he was a baby. When they got bigger we would just tuck it around them. They usually kicked it off.

Heck when my youngest was little our house was so cold she had 3 blankets on (the quilt, a receiving blanket and a lighter quilt I made). She wasn't one yet but we had to do something to keep her warm. That was on top of the footie pajamas. Our heat was set at 58 at night so it was always cold.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I just asked my pediatrician about sleeping with a stuffed animal, and she said 1 1/2. a friend of mine's grandson died from accidental suffocation at 11 months, so i'd just be careful if i were you. mine are 13 months and i still don't let them have anything in their cribs. call me crazy, but i just don't feel like it's worth taking the chance, especially since i heard about my friend's grandson. hope this helps.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2008