Do you believe modesty is a worthwhile value? Why or why not?

In dress, in demeanor, in language, in actions...

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 10:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It most certainly is worthwhile. Making a spectacle of yourself whether in dress, speech, or actions does little to make people take you or your ideas seriously.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Absolutly -- across the board. Modesty gains respect. Example -- Before children, I LOVED wearing low-cut shirts and short skirts -- which attracted a lot of people (guys) I wouldn't want my children to be around. (Besides that -- how attractive would I be when a boob pops out from that low-cut shirt because my LO is hanging on me)? lol :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Definitely. In all aspects of life it is.
    Specifically Dress- You dress out of respect for your body and you dress modestly out of respect for others. There's a book about where the lines of your clothing are placed to draw your eye in to certain parts of the body. If those lines point to the crotch, breasts, butts...then obviously a male will be thinking about those things.
    When you speak, you should speak modestly about things because when you think about something, and speak it, it just reinforces the thought. You hand around people that speak of the same things you do as well.
    Actions develop from thought....you have to have the thought before you act.....so why even put the thought there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Modesty is subjective.  My modesty depends on the occasion, social circumstance and weather.  

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes, absolutely it does!
    The problem is that too many in our society today don't recognize it for what it is--respect for yourself & respect for others. Our bodies are not supposed to "be on display" to everyone--our bodies are God's Temple, therefore we must keep them pure; i.e. we keep it private from all others except a spouse. You can wear clothes that flatter the figure/shape but are not so low-cut or high-cut or see-through or whatever that it is displaying your body wrongly. Dressing & acting like a slut is not cool!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 8:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• All things in moderation. As pp said, there is no concrete definition of modesty. What's modest for your average soccer mom, fashionista or Mennonite are very different things. Should the fashionista be judged by the standards of the Mennonite? Should the Mennonite be judged by the standards of the soccer mom?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes, in that modesty shows respect for yourself and your body. And it conveys this message to the world.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No, I think it's a moot point. Each of us defines "modest" differently. What I consider to be modest many people may not and visa versa. To me, respect and love yourself and it will come through in all you do. That's more important than how you dress, talk or anything else.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• What determines modesty?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think modesty is a good thing. You dont have to go overboard and dress like it's the Victorian Era but it's ok to not dress or talk trashy, I mean you are an example to your kids and it is a good factor in the workplace. I went through a "eh whatever" phase, wore ripped clothing, I swore, I had the "bad girl" image and liked it. I attracted the "bad boys". But I have since grown up. I have also since become a mother. I don't dress like a church lady, but my style is more professional. Living in south georgia for the past 7 years has certainly changed my language from "what the fuck" to "what on earth" lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:15 AM on Feb. 11, 2011