• In the Spotlight:

Kids and ADHD

Anyone else think it's odd that an alarming number of kids have ADHD? I am not saying I am not a believer, I have 2 kids in my family that suffer from it and have seen great results from medicine. I just wonder if some behavior problems are mis-diagnosed as ADHD.

ConcernedMom141

Asked by ConcernedMom141 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I do think med's are given out to easily, just like candy. You need to work with your kids and that does take time, so giving them med's is easier. And that what makes it sad.
    People with ADHD are the big business men, artiest, movie starts, creators, like the kid who created face book, millionaires, We need them.

I knew a mom who wanted to get her daughter on med's because her daughter started talking back to her.

KIDS should NOT BE ROBOTS!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:18 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I do think it is odd that so many kids are diagnosed with ADHD. My son was diagnosed when he was in 1st grade by a child psychologist. And he truly has it. His doctor told me that if he truly doesn't have it, the med will make him more hyper not calm him down. And the medicine was awesome, he is 14 now and can focus better and is doing well in school.
    I think now that they know so much about ADHD that it is easier for them to diagnosis it. Not like when I was growing up and there was a hyper kid in class he was just marked as a trouble maker.
    I am sure there are many kids that are misdiagnosed, but if they truly have it..then the medicine will work. It is sad when misdiagnoses happen. I think all children who are suspected to have ADHD should be properly diagnosed by a child psychologist.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree, too many docs are just giving a simple "out" because most meds for kids should be the LAST resort--not the first. It seems that most of the time, too many parents use meds on their kids for a quick fix for THEM. However, NOT saying this is you personally. But do get more then 1 opinion from a few different doctors before letting him just take ADD pills. Another issue, is that some of those meds cause more restlessness, irritibility, and no appetite. My friend has her kid on meds, and he acts up even MORE when on them...so REALLY think before giving your kids these things..and if they are on them..then you decide to take them off--they can have withdrawls..or it can mess with their system.
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• ...CONT.....we clean our homes with toxic chemicals and breathe them in. We slather our bodies and hair with toxic chemicals rather than homemade natural tallow based soap. We paint our walls with toxic, chemical filled paint, all the clothes, bedding, every single thing in our house is made from toxic chemicals that we surround ourselves with every day!

And 100 years ago, it wasn't like that! Maybe others don't agree with me on this, but if we reverted back and weren't so dependant on chemicals to make things faster and cheaper I guarantee our health and our kids health would be greatly improved.

Every since I started using homemade cleaners, laundry detergent, toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, etc etc I've noticed drastic changes in all of our moods, skin, hair, allergies, etc. Just from small changes that actually save us a lot of money too. 1 batch of laundry detergent cost $3.20 and lasts over 6 months!!!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• ADHD has become the catch-all diagnosis for everything from emotional and behavioral problems (stemming from insufficient diet to metabolic disorders to toxin exposure, and so many other underlying conditions), to bad parenting, to inadequate teachers, to no regard for differing learning styles, and so on and so on. It's a damn shame.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I believe it has always been a problem but was not recognized as much before and YES over diagnosed now. I have 4 kids 2 with adhd 1 with add and 1 who is only 7 months old. My boys with adhd NEEDS medicine, without it their behavior is horrible and their grades drop, my daughter who has add needs meds but she isn't quite as dependant on the meds as my boys, she can still somewhat concentrate on her school work without the meds. I have several family members on meds that in my opinion are just spoiled brats with behavior problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think it's the easy thing to do to just diagnose, medicate and move on. My son is *supposed* to be evaluated next month. I'm canceling the appointment. I've been reading several books including "Ritalin is not the answer: A Drug-Free, Practical program for Children Diagnosed with ADD or ADHD" and just those simple techniques in that book has my son behaving better at home and at school. I would never put my son on medications that are in the same class as morphine.

But I also think that the BIGGEST reason for more incidents in ADD/ADHD, Childhood Diabetes, Obesity, Autism, and so many other diseases or syndromes is just how our homes have changed over the last 100 years.

We don't grow and raise our own food that's naturally organic....we buy processed junk filled with pesticides and chemicals. We don't cut down a tree and build a desk, we buy treated partical board crap that's loaded with chemicals....CONT...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Well the one thing that the book I mentioned does is have you praise the good behavior immediately before the bad behavior even starts. Even if it means praising them before they even do the good behavior. That positive reinforcement excites kids and makes them crave more of it.

For example....if the kid is a maniac in the grocery store, as soon as you walk in the door say something like "Wow, Tina, you are being so well good in the store today, listening to me and not running around. I am SO proud of you" And as you go through the different departments of the store keep praising it and you'll see the bad behavior never even stops because they are proud of themselves and proud of the praise.

When my son has a good day and a good report from the bus driver we all high five and I tell him i'm SO proud of him, and the bus isn't an issue anymore...and trust me, he was close to getting kicked off it at one point.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think that it is a real problem that was not accurately diagnosed in the past. Some people truely have it, may need medication, and have to learn to deal with it. But at least now they can.

I also think it's an "easy" solution for some parents not to effectively disicpline.

I think it's pushed by schools onto kids who need discipline and help, but the parents are either in denial about their lack of discipline or take the easy way out.

I think doctors may perscribe too easily if the parents are not honest and accurate in symtoms that could be either something else, or just thier own lack of discipline.

And lastly, i think it may be caused in some part by all the artificial sweeteners, food colorings, junk food, gluten and such, and nitrates in food. Studies have shown, and parents have talked about changing their child's diets, and it imporves their mood, concentration, and health.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Not a question for my kids really... both of mine are fine and have never had issues. My SD tajes meds for ADHD and DH wants to take my other SD to the doctor. It's not for the typical she can't focus, does poor in school. It is for behavior. I hate to see medicine replace discipline.
    ConcernedMom141

Comment by ConcernedMom141 (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2011