What are some things that you have found helpful while flying with a baby?

We will be traveling across the country soon (so we will be on a plane/in airports all day long). Its been 5 years since I was on a plane, and it was before I had ANY children. We are taking my 7 month old baby, and I would like some tips on traveling with him. I am breastfeeding and make my own baby food.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy you child his/her own seat. It's so helpful for the instances that you *might* need it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Wear something comfortable to breastfeed in, and bring spare cloths for yourself. You don't want to be wearing baby food on your clothes all day. Be up front with security, if you have baby food or bottle breast milk tell them right away. It will make the searches go faster. I traveled with my 3 month old all by myself. I would cover up to breastfeed but people still stared. Be strong and face them down. you are giving the best food you can to your child. It is harder to travel with homemade food. I found that in a pinch Earths Best baby food was the best option that I could use. Do you use a pacifier, try to give your little one something to suck on while landing and taking off it will help with their ears. Good luck
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• fireball - she asked for suggestions about flying, not your personal opinion about breastfeeding. (And yes, I breastfed both my children).

Anyway -
    Extra clothes for you and baby. A pacifier to help pop their ears. Remember that liquids (breastmilk and formula excluded) need to be limited to 3 oz. or smaller and put in Ziploc baggies.
    Books that light up (but don't make noise) and books w/different textures on them.
    Clip on toys (deliciousbaby.com) so your baby doesn't drop/throw them.
    If you are traveling w/someone besides your baby, pass on the extra seat & save yourself the money.
    -Have a safe flight!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If you can afford it, I always am glad we have a seat for DS. It is SO much more comfortable to be able to put him in his carseat and then have a little breathing room for myself. You can always just hook the carseat handle over a suitcase handle to reduce the number of things you have to lug around. Bring a sling/carrier and strap your baby to you while in the airport so your hands are free. If you can breastfeed while take-off and landing, do that. It will help a lot to avoid ear pain. I also brought a few extra pacifiers - just incase one got lost or too dirty. Try to pack as light as you can, or else just check all the bags (except the diaperbag). Don't worry, folks do this all the time. Have a good trip!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• havehim drink on the way and way down helps with the ears
    dawnmichelle3

Answer by dawnmichelle3 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2011