Why are some parst of leviticus followed and other parts ignored. For example the parts about sexual behavior is followed but the parts about clothing restriction and food restrictions are not by most Christians. I am very confused about how old testament rules apply selectively.

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• clapping

Exactly. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Because the most important law is "Love God with all your heart and all your soul and love your neighbor as you love your self ; there is no other law more important than this and in this Law falls all the laws and Prophets" Matthew 22:37-40
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:31 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• To me it seems like one of the biggest problems among christians today.... We can't pick and choose what we want to follow. The Bible is to be followed in it's entirety... Unfortunately the world has had way to much influence and has distorted peoples views of whats acceptable.
    mandyh0319

Answer by mandyh0319 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think that's a very interesting question! This is something I've just recently started studying. I am Catholic, but I think this may apply to all the other denominations that split off from Catholicism as well.

According the the things I have read the teaching is basically that those rules (followed by the Jewish people) are part of "the old covenant." Christ "changed the game" by setting up a new covenant. According to our faith (and I think this is true for all Christians?) Jesus by his death/resurrection created a new covenant which overruled all the old laws. Therefore old covenant things like Passover were replaced with new covenant things like Easter. Old covenant cleansing of the temple on 12/25 was replaced by Christmas, etc.

So - I kinda "get" the logic there, but it still bothers me. Jesus was Jewish and celebrated the old laws and rites - so why don't we?
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• "Jesus was Jewish and celebrated the old laws and rites - so why don't we?"

He was following the Law, because he hadn't died yet which is what made the new covenant. It wasn't completed when He was born, He had to die on the cross and then be raised from the dead to fulfill the Scripture.
    I am not bound by the old covenant because Jesus created a new covenant - so I don't have to follow any of the "rules" in Leviticus. My lifestyle is based on the New Testament.

Answer by missanc at 11:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• People use what they want to use to prop up their beliefs- Christians are not the only ones to do this- and it does not apply just to religion- take a look at any other debate on here and IRL- you can find "studies" to support what you wish- for example vaccination: people look at the evidence to support whatever the view is- we are human and bias is part of humanity- this is not a "Christian thing" its human nature.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Jesus himself said he came to fulfill the law, not to change it, so it's never made sense to me...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Old Testament law was given to the Jews, not the Christians. Since Jesus was Jewish, obviously he would have followed their traditions. Plus

Romans 10:4 - "Christ is the culmination of the law, so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes"

Galations 3:23-25 - " Before the coming of this faith,we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."

Answer by missanc at 1:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• People pick and choose. There is no true 'reason' in religion. We choose to follow a belief system that makes sense to us and to follow a person within that system who we can understand and feel a connection to. You can find just about anything in the bible to justify just about any claim.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Many believe in division between the laws and that the moral laws still apply, but I haven't found any textual support for that, and it makes no sense to me that, for example, Lev 19:18 should be followed and yet Lev 19:19 should not. I personally believe that the NT does not command Christians to live under Jewish Law, so to me that would be ALL of the Jewish Law.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011