• In the Spotlight:

Help! first prenatal visit today

my lmp was 12/17/10. went to the dr today. i should be about 7-8 weeks pregnant. when they did an ultrasound the fetus looked to be about 5 weeks. now i have to go for all these blood test to check my hcg levels. im afraid that there may be something wrong. it could be that the dates are off but i dont understand how that could be. has this happened to anyone out there? they took me out of work for a while and told me to go home and not to stress about it. yeah right!!!!

mykidsmom86

Asked by mykidsmom86 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't worry too much. There is still some guesswork involved in date of conception and all that. Your child may be small *right now* and that may be why they're thinking you're not as far along. There are a LOT of reasons, most of them nothing more than miscalculation. Just take your prenatals and enjoy being pregnant.

Borrowing tomorrow's troubles today, a good idea is not.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• the difference between 5-8 weeks pregnant is not all that much. especially if you arent sure when exactly you conceived. ultrasounds measure crown to rump length and in the beginning of pregnancy should be pretty accurate. their accuracy lessens as the pregnancy progresses. i wouldnt worry at all! except it might stink to find out you are a little less closer to delivery than you originally believed. did they identify a heart beat. if so.... no worries. if not, they'll probably do another ultrasound in a week or two, bc sometimes a heartbeat is hard to identify prior to six weeks. be calm. and go back to work, take your mind off it.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When I went in for my first ultra sound they thought I should be almost 8 weeks, by the size it was 6 weeks to the day. They didn't have me do any bloods test, but they had me come back for another ultrasound 2 weeks later and it was 8 weeks to the day. My doctor said my cycle must have just been off and not to worry.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• dont worry the dates are always off cause i went and they said it looked 5 weeks and they didnt hear a heart beat i kept crying and crying i was so sad i thought all these things were wrong than i went to my Dr Apt when i was 2 months and everything was good and heard the heartbeat your ok...
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Based on my lmp I am 40 weeks 1 day but by my first ultrasound I am 39 weeks 2 days. I know I ovulate late in my cycles so thats the reason for mine. Yours could be the same situation.
    Ashley21

Answer by Ashley21 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The same thing happened to me. I went in for the urine test and told them my LMP and they gave me a due date of Aug.25 which made me 6 weeks and when I went in for my first visit which was two weeks later I had been spotting so they gave me an ultrasound and said that the baby measured 5 weeks 4 days and I thought how could that be because I was suppose to be 8 weeks. She said that i must ovulate really late and that I had gotten pregnant right before my period. She saw the embryo and sac, too early for heartbeat so they had me go in a week later to see the heartbeat and luckily it had a good heartbeat and was the size it should be for 6 1/2 weeks. So don't worry, it is tricky trying to figure out when you conceived and all that! Good luck!!!!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 2:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Omg My LMP Was 12/17/10 Too Aha. im 8 weeks and one day. my first App Was Monday and the ultrasound came out that it was 6 weeks but the doctor said youll always be like a week off so its normal. or atleast thats what they told me.
    MommyKayla777

Answer by MommyKayla777 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2011