I need some desperate advice please? I and my family made 2400 a month now we make 1000 a month!

What are the most number 1 important needs to be able to live on our own? I just got food stamps so that is okay. I can not believe this stupid economy how down and out it is! But I want to know what your advice is.

Here is a list of what I think is the number 1 most important

Rent/ water is 832 a month

Electricity Bill between 80 and 110 But I am trying to keep it down right now!

Car Insurance 210 right now for full coverage but we are going to just have liability it's only like 80 or 100 bucks a month with family insurance.

Our Food stamps :) Thank goodness

Some gas money for my husbands job 90 dollars
And extra money to save for our personal needs. Extra money for household items, diapers wipes, light bulbs/ checking, savings, tithing, kids saving accounts, and for dr. bills. Anything helps, even if we just put 5 to 10 bucks tawards these.

Would that cover this?

Am I on the right track? Also my husband smokes!And is not willing to quit, but is willing to cut back by not smoking a ton! We are almost a family of 4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• It can be hard living on next to nothing. I've spent most of my life doing it - even as a kid my family was going paycheck to paycheck.
    My best advice is to shop the sales, for groceries and things, and start clipping coupons. Buy only what you need - no special treats or snacks your family doesn't need. And when it comes to your hubby's smoking habit, make sure he really is cutting back! I don't know how many times my ex SAID he was going to cut back and only let it go for a week...
    If all else fails, consider getting a job yourself, if you're not working, or have hubby get a second job. It's not easy, but lots of us have to do it.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Your probably going to have to find a cheaper place to live. Or get Section 8.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thank you, and yes lol it's 1000 a month, not a week. Lol geez I wish it was a 1000 a week LOL But anyway's.

I know I am strong willed,and that I am able to live on my own. I cut back on just about every bill now, so as long as I am paying a little of something I think I will be just fine. I love being a stay at home mommy it's very rewarding. But I feel like crap due to the fact I have been working since I was 12 yrs old. Never not had a job/ career until now.I am highly independent and having to rely on my husband makes me feel bad. But when you have kids it changes you and I know because I had to quit my dream career 3 days ago due to the stresses of being a counselor.

I give extra kudos to those of you who are working mothers, congrats! At least working, government assistance came out of my own pocket anyway LOl so if I need it, at least it's there. It's not like I never worked. Just being thankful and positive!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have cut back on all my bills! Every single one by 600 bucks! That'sa big chunk. I figured you can not go into collections as long as you pay something! Legally that's what I heard. They have to except some sort of money. Cable, internet, and cell phones have all been cut, but we are cutting it again way, way down! Same with car insurance,

I have a lot of plans so I think we will be okay. Crossing fingers and beliving in God! God gives me strength even when all else fails.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Right now when you add up your expenses it's a couple hundred+ over $1,000 a month. So yea you have to give things up. Tell your husband it's selfish to not quit smoking, not only because of the costs, but the health risk for everyone in your family.

You didn't mentions a phone, cell phones or cable, but if you have any of these cut them out.

Do whatever you can to lower the electric bill...such as unplugging tv's, computers, printers, microwave & such when not in use (they draw energy when not in use)! If you have an electric dryer, hang your clothes to dry instead.

You can even spread the food stamps more this spring/summer/fall by growing as many fruits and veggies as you can. Can, freeze, preserve the extras you don't eat right away!

If you don't go out and work, perhaps sell what your family has outgrown on craigslist or ebay. Then visit thrift stores, etc with some of the profit for getting more to sell.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Sorry to hear that you're going through tough times. Perhaps you can see if there's any way to make a little extra money, such as watching a child part-time in your home?
    And I'm sorry, this may sound bitchy, but your husband needs to stop smoking. You're on food stamps, still having trouble making ends meet...cigarettes need to be the first thing to go.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I had to quit my dream career 3 days ago due to the stresses of being a counselor.

You quit your job and are now thinking about how to survive only making $1000 a month. You should have thought about that before quitting. You could have at least found another job before quitting and now your family is going to suffer because of it. It sounds like you need to start looking for a job asap!

Anonymous

• Good luck! I am a single mom and currently unemployed. I found out yesterday that my medicaid is being cancelled and I desperately need it to pay for my counseling sessions and depression medication. I am looking for a job that I can do from home at least for now.
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• you shouldnt have quit your job before finding a new one.
    Anonymous

• Sales and coupons are going to be your best friends. I have been using both for years, even before my husband went on disability. After our bills are paid, I barely have any money left to buy groceries (MIL gets 49 in food stamps and SIL contributes some of hers b/c she stays here) but I use coupons and sales and always managed to have enough to feed the four of us all month. When the grocery strore sales ads come, I get my pen and paper and start combing the ads for the best deals. 

I agree with whoever said unplug things when not using. Things like TVs, computers, etc. When you turn them off and that red/green light stays on, they are using power. If possible, only do laundry once a week and use cold water. Trust me, cold water gets the clothes just as clean as hot water. 

Good luck. Things will get better. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011