has anyone ever had a pulmonary embolism after a csection??? how is ur prognosis?

amylyn74

Asked by amylyn74 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Health

• DId you have a PE after a c-section? If you did and you're up an typing- I'd say you have an excellent prognosis. A PE is more likely to happen after a surgery and more often after giving birth at all. So a c-section puts you at high risk. I have had 2 blood clots myself- but luckily, they never moved out of my leg. I work in a hospital and I see people who have had PE's. They can really vary in severity- so it's hard to say for sure how someone will do after one. The floor I work on is a regular post-op floor- so if someone had a really bad PE- they woudl go to the ICU. Our patients get them from time to time- but most of them are small and they seem to recover very well. They do have to go on blood thinners and be monitored for several months after the PE- but they all seem okay. I can't speak about larger PE's because they can be very dangerous.
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had Bilateral PE after the birth of my third child. Yes I did have a c-section. I nearly died and spent a week in the hospital on a heparin drip. I was then on Warfarin for 1 year after. When I got pregnant again I had to give myself Lovenox injections daily. I have not had any other issues. I did require a blood transfusion after I had my son (4th child) because I went into labor early and had an emergency c-section and the Lovenox was not completely out of my system. They put off the c-section as long as they could but the medication was still there so I bled a little to much. I had a great staff that was prepared for any problems and stayed on top of everything. I now have a medical card in my wallet saying that I have a history in case of any medical emergency where I can not speak for myself.

blueyedalls

Answer by blueyedalls at 9:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2009