Discrimination....

What are some of your stories of discrimination? In my Sociology class we watched a video called True Colors and two best friends, one African American, the other white, participated in an experiment. The both were put into real life situations (renting an apartment, buying a car, applying for a job, etc.) and it showed the AA getting treated a lot differently then the white man. When at the car dealership the car salesman (also AA) wouldn't even approach him but he immediately approached the white man. I felt shocked, embarrassed, and a little ignorant that I didn't even know this was happening on a regular basis.

What are some instances where you have been discriminated against (race, gender, age, etc.)? And if you have any I'm truly sorry.

I have one myself. I had my daughter while I was in high school. My senior year I decided I wanted to take an engineering class to see if that's really what I wanted to pursue or not. When I met with my Guidance Counselor to schedule he told me that the work would be too hard for me and I would fail the class. He said the only way I could take the class is if I had an A average in my physics class and a reference from my physics teacher. I got both and I ended the engineering class with a 90%. I wanted so badly to run to him and shove it in my face but I was adult about it and let him see it himself.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh my goodness, having a lesbian daughter, I can tell you stories......... one that comes to mind was a mailman who refused to deliver their mail because they were a lesbian couple.....

Answer by older at 12:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When I was pregnant with my son people would come up to me and tell me that I had no business being pregnant. I looked 14, but I was actually 21.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There is a McDonalds in Chicago and they only promoted blacks to managers not the whites!!!! The blacks knew nothing. The whites knew the grill,register as well as how to work and fill machines like shake,Mccafe,and smoothie makers. The balcks did not have a clue how to do any of that. U had to learn that to become a manager.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I've had this happen numerous times.  The one that sticks out the most in my memory is this one:  My son and I (he was about 1 at the time) were at the local mission donating his old clothing and toys.  We were standing in the waiting area and this woman walked by and stopped to do the whole "oh so cute" thing to my son.  The guy who was taking our items said "belongs in a trashcan".  I thought he was talking about the clothing he was going through but the woman turned around and was like EXCUSE ME!  They were her clothes so she took offense.  He was like "not you, the mutt".  He called my son a freaking MUTT! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I grew up in a region where my particular religion was/is heavily discriminated against. When I was a kid there were lots of parents who wouldn't let their children be friends with my sister and I. In a certain community, members of our church are regulary harrassed by the police and barred by the city council from doing certain things with our businesses or residential properties. Most of us aren't treated differently from anyone else until people find out what religion we practice.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Growing up in New York, I went to a school that would put blacks and hispanics in the hot lunch room and the whites in the other side of the building for cold lunch. We are talking mid 1970's. It was sad how blatant the discriminiation was. Also the jewish girls would never invite me to their birthday parties because I was catholic...... just really crazy excuses. I honestly can say that school was not a happy experience until high school.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• All of the things that have happened to me have been minor, but I can tell you some that my dad witnessed. He worked for the government for 30 years and many times witnessed discrimination based on race. Often, there would be someone that should have been promoted, but couldn't be because they were required to have a certain amount of African Americans, Hispanics, and other races in positions. IMO, it should have nothing to do with race. The best person for the position should be the one given the job. I find it unfair that someone else was passed up, even though they had more experience, just because they had to fill a quota based on race.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• He called my son a freaking MUTT! "

Seriously...that guy may have gotten punched if he said that about my son. That is horrible!!!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• LovingSAHMommy: This isn't as apparent anymore, luckily. It's actually proven that some races aren't promoted nearly as much. For instance, Asian men are 7-10 times less likely to get promoted than a white man.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• A couple of years ago this white woman was shot by her black boyfriend. We live down in the south in the backwoods lol. Anyways the cops was constantly riding around harrassing every black person they could find. I was pregnant and they actually made me get out the car so they could pat me down. They would only stop the black people. It was pretty upsetting.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011