Cheap health insurance

I received notification that my medicaid is being canceled at the end of the month because my unemployment is $30 too much to qualify. I was diagnosed as clinically depressed about 5 years ago and need something to cover my medication and Dr appointments. Any ideas?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 12:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• welfare. u need to get off unemployment first.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Odds are, no private insurance will cover you because of your depression. Call your state and see if there is a non-free but state-run program you can use.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Try blue cross blue shield in your state. You could try aetna, cigna, humana. Maybe your doc could switch you to meds that are on the 4 dollar list at walmart. Maybe there is a local state funded mental health center in your area. Grocery stores often offer cheap ins if you work for them like the big chains (kroger, publix,etc). Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Check to see if your state has it's own ins program not run by medicaid. Usually there will be something that goes on a sliding scale. Check your local health dept
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I've heard that you can sometimes pay a certain amount (I think it's called a spend down, or a pay down) of your medical bills and then medicaid will cover you. So say your income is $30 over the limit- they might have you pay the first $30 of your medical bills out of pocket every month.

The woman I heard this from said it took her three months (if I remember correctly) before she got it to go through. They kept denying her, she kept calling back.

I really doubt you'll be able to find health insurance that covers your preexisting condition- and if you do it could be for an outrageous price. Hopefully you'll find something that works though.
    Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011