How can I get my fiancee and step daugter to eat healthier?

My fiancee does not like eating healthy meals, although I try making them. His daughter is better but it is still a struggle. How do I get both of them to eat healthy? She is not able to go to the bathroom comfortably so they give her Miralax to help her. I do not agree with this because they do not really push her to eat fruits and veggies but I do. This is very frustrating. What do I do?

Nuttmegg32

Asked by Nuttmegg32 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• My husband was a horrible eater when we met. Now I just dont buy the things that are unhealthy. I make what I make and if he wants that junk food he has to go to the store to get it and make it for himself. I do the same thing with the kids and guess what"? They eat what I make lol.

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My suggestion would be to make smoothies my kids arent big on fruits or veggies so i make smoothies with the fruit and veggies we give them some cheese melted on them. Hope that helps
    hellokitti666

Answer by hellokitti666 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I face this every day! It's gotta be a collaboration, just like you are mixing two families. You bring your lifestyle to the table and they bring theirs. A mix of equal is best. Buy fresh fruits and veggies and make smoothies, and have yogurt, this will help her digestive issues. Keep crackers on hand to curve binges. Be prepared to except sinful treats now and then. It will be okay just balance it between the two. Don't force a strict change and have fun!
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My husband & kids aren't too bad at eating fruit & veggies but they aren't that great either so I have the rule of 'no treat till you eat something good' like when they see a cupcake at Granny's house I tell them they have to eat lunch 1st. Also I keep fresh fruit & veggies on hand but if that doesn't work (like they're just not in the mood) I sneak them into whatever I make for supper, for example I made meatloaf the one night, processed fresh spinach till it was like a paste & added it in, funnily enough my husband & kids ate it all up - my husband even asked me what I did different because it tasted better!!!lol I told him & do it all the time now with meatloaf, spaghetti whatever with what ever fresh vegetables I have:) Good Luck:)
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would definitely set some "house rules" about eating before you get married, or this could become a huge problem if you and he have children together later and he's not with you about how/what they should eat.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have found that with children anyway, explaining what good foods do for your body helps a lot. Also, letting the children help prepare the meals seems to give them a better understanding and connection with the foods they're eating.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011