Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is adoption expensive?

We have custody of my neice and nephew and their parents wants us to adopt them so they want have to pay child support, they had'nt seen them in about 2yrs. I was just wondering how much it would cost for the whole process and we get a check from the state to help us now, its not much but it helps a little. I was also wondering if that would be cut off if we adopted them .We love them both we've had them for about 3yrs know we really want to but we have 2 other kids and money wise its hard. Can anyone give me advise?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Adoption

Answers (5)
  • if you adopt them the state funds will stop. I am not for positive.

    but if you adopt them you should qualify for food stamps and other assistance if you really need it.

    Answer by brannen at 4:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

  • getting a check for them,after adoption,varies for each state.I live in Va,so once you adopt,it is as if you given birth to them.My brother adopted my neice which lived in Mich.,and because she lived in mich.they got a check for her until she was 18,and medicaid.Good luck.since you already have custidy,if the birth parents don't contest,and sign over their rights,it really should'nt cost that much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

  • usually relative adoption aren't as expensive. Ours isn't relative, however its a private adoption (with an adoption atty) with a friend of ours...After all fees, it will be around 5,000. What you need to do is find an atty, and have the parents sign their relinquishment papers. Depending on your state, you may have to have a homestudy before adopting (we do). Even if the child already lives with you. Contact some lawyers in your area , look around and get some advice and quotes! Goodluck with this.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

  • Do you have custody through CPS? Like others have said, it varies state to state, but I believe in CA kinship support stops with adoption. Unless there are special needs, that can make a difference.

    Answer by jothra at 1:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • Once the birth parents terminate their rights you wont recieve any more state funding or child support from them. It can be expensive, especially if your state laws require that you get a home study done and higher a licensed adoption agency. You should contact a family law attorney and ask them what are the state requirements. they may be different for your case because you have had custody.

    Answer by Micahroni at 7:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.