Spin off question: boy hitting for name calling

Several of you thought it was perfectly acceptable for a girl to respond to verbal taunts and name calling with physical violence. Do you feel the same for a boy? Would it be okay for a boy to hit someone who was calling them names? If yes, why?

Personally, I don't think it's okay for either.

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 12:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Not OK for either!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Boy or Girl doesn't matter. If you are feeling threatened in ANY way, I don't see anything wrong with resorting to physical violence to end it. Some people only respond to physical violence. And yes, verbal taunts and chants are threatening and damaging. So yes, if that's what it takes I don't see anything wrong with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I dont think its ok for either. We have to PARENT which means teaching right from wrong. Rarely do two wrongs make a right in my life experience. Second, in the REAL world the kids will eventually entering hitting someone is assault and is punishable under the law. There is no defense for hitting someone for calling you a bad name or being mean. A judge would convict on something like that. Instead its more important to use it as a teachable moment, and show different ways to handle such things.

Answer by gemgem at 12:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Holey Crap, Hell has just froze over....I actually agree with SabrinaMBowen. Well, i guess there's a first for everything!
    Anonymous

•   If they are hit first, hit back, that's my motto.  Hitting someone because they said something about you?  Not acceptable regardless of what was said. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• To an extent. If it's little things then no, now if they were calling them fag or anything derogatory like that then yes, boy or girl.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It is our job to teach our child how to be the bigger person and when it comes to name calling, turning around and leaving is the best way. If we all slapped someone for name calling, we'd be spending all our effort running around slapping people.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" needs to be taken out back behind the shed, if you know what I mean. I was a victim through most of my school years of verbal abuse by my peers, words hurt the most.

As for the hitting, I don't think it's appropriate for ANYone to hit; there are other options. That being said, I grew up hearing, and am telling both my son and daughter: I don't want you fighting, but if THEY start it YOU finish it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• its not okay for either.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011