I need your opinion...

Ok well, i have a 5 (almost 6) yearold step daughter. Me and my DH have a 5 month old. I have been there from day one (totally different subject) but she wants this FurReal Dog Biscuit for Christmas, it is $179.99. which i think is too much $$. Well her mom and dad both try to spoil the crap put of her which neither one of them can afford it. My DH says we should buy it, i say no! Then he comes bakc if our son wanted it you would buy it, but i wouldn't! It is outragous and she will be over it in 1 day. How can I say this with out starting an agrument?

brannen

Asked by brannen at 4:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• See if her Mom would be willing to split it with you and DH as her big gift from Santa to save $$ and allow her to have a bigger Christmas.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Set up a wish list for her on amazon.com. Tell her she must select all sorts of different priced things. I tell my kids NOTHING over 100. Those presents are MY choice. Simply because they are so spendy.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Like Kim said, have them two split it. You have a say when it comes to your money but its still his daughter and if he wants to get it then he prob will. :(
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I raised 4 sons. 2 mine and 2 his. We had all the same problems from the time we married til the kids were moved out of the house. Step/blended families are tough. I definitely feel your pain. I suggest coming up with a fixed amount of money you both agree on to spend on your kids at christmas. If she gets $200 bucks then the the 5mo old does too. I'm pretty sure he'll think it's ridiculous to spend $200 bucks on a 5mo old, but I could be wrong. I agree with Kimebs when she suggests asking her Mom to split the cost. Good luck!
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think that's a great idea, if not suggest one of the smaller fur real pets, or maybe two little ones. I would show him the toys that you like for your child but are too expensive and then show him the ones that you are getting for your baby. He may think that you aren't getting your child an expensive present because the five month old is too young, but there are costly presents for even babies. If you show him how you are saving money with the baby maybe he'll see that it's not just the step child that isn't getting the costly gift. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Thank you all for the input, that is what they want to do, the only issue is that her birthday is Jan 2! and we already agreed to half a power wheel car! I told him that we were setting a spending limit of $150 each, and $100 for her birthday. that is a lot to come up with already. It is hard and it's not the mom it is usually my DH that always wants to give her everything and then leaves it up to me to make up the difference! I make more than twice the $$ he does!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 4:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008