Does Mubarak's resignation have a place in Christian end-times prophecy?

Someone just sent me an e-mail discussing (read:warning) how the current turmoil in Egypt is another "piece of the puzzle" in Biblical end-times prophecy. The person failed to expound on where in the Bible it says anything about this and how Egypt comes into play, so I'm curious...does it?

Do you--as a Christian--believe that this is significant, religiously speaking? Or if you're not Christian but are familiar with the Bible, what are your thoughts about how someone might make that connection?

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 1:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The way prophecy-philes operate is that they take anything they want, and find something that they think might correspond slightly and run with it. This goes for any type of prophecy-phile.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• "Oh my goodness...what ISN'T a "sign" of the end of times according to christians! Geez. How paranoid are some people?"
    Answer by sahmamax2 4 hours ago
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Wow...lol. So much for tolerence. You couldn't resist could you? Prejudice is still ok I guess, as long as you're Christian-bashing.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Sahm: its not paranoia but being well aware of what is happening around us. What truly bothers you? I know it isn't this.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Im not sure I know the middle east plays a large part in end times prophecy in the bible. I believe there are several countries who do eventually attack Israel in the bible. Of course back then the names were different then what they are called now. Perhaps Egypt belongs to one of the countries that is predicted to help strike them?

Answer by gemgem at 1:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I HOPE that there will be the birth of democracy in Egypt; unfortunately, I'm cynical enough to think that Egyptians may be trading one bad government for another.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• the fall of egypt is biblical

I believe it is in Ezekial 29- thru 32

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If it's the "fall of Egypt" that's one of the supposed signs, then I'd say that what's happening today doesn't qualify--at least not yet. What we're seeing is the fall of the dictator-president, not the fall of the country. Hopefully what we'll see happen is the birth of democracy in that nation, rather than a descent into another form of dictatorship. Whatever happens in the near future, though, remains to be seen. Today, I have hope that the people of Egypt will find themselves on the road to a democratic nation that welcomes people of different faiths, and gives a voice to all citizens--as our country is supposed to do.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm not sure about Egypt right NOW...but the region is important in what is said in the Revelation.
    When asked about the signs of his return and the end times, Jesus said "You will hear of wars, and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." He says more about the atmosphere approaching the end times, referring to them as birth pains..meaning things will intensify the closer we get. Personally, I am waiting to see the specific prophesies, instead of speculating on the unknown. For example, one BIG sign of the times will be when one man unifies the middle east and Israel with a peace treaty. When that happens, watch... 3 1/2 years later the treaty will be broken, and all hell will break loose.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My application study says this
    Egypt was once a good ally, a wealthy and powerful state. When the Egyptians do not get what they hope for they bail from an agreement without regard to promises made. But as this was written and determined to be for a time period of around 571 BC, the prophesy is seen as already come and gone leaving Egypt never to regain the power it once had then.
    There are alot of quirky things in Ezekial, so I'm not sure if your email pertains to this in the O.T. or something later in Revelation
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Isaiah 19:16,17: In that day Egypt will be like women, and will be afraid and fear because of the waving of the hand of the Lord of hosts, which He waves over it. And the land of Judah will be a terror to Egypt; everyone who makes mention of it will be afraid in himself, because of the counsel of the Lord of hosts which He has determined against it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2011