HELP!!!!How do you get your 3 year old

to clean up toys?? I fight with my girl all day long every day....she scatters all of her toys everywhere in her play room and just screams when I tell her to clean them up...what do you do???

mylady13135

Asked by mylady13135 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not suggesting you do this, just saying what is done in my house.  If I told my 3 year old to pick up her toys and she screamed at me I'd spank her butt. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Simple. Clean them up, put them in a tupperware, clear, on top of a shelf and they go away for 2 days. Next time give her the warning and see what happens, you might need to take them away a few times for it to sink in. : )
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• take them away. Tell her if she wants them she needs to pick them up or your taking them away (OUT OF SIGHT, Where she doesn't know where they are).
    I find it helpful with my little ones to sing to them a clean up song. "clean up clean up, do do do do"
    Anonymous

• oops, meant to state *clear tupperware box*
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I started working with my son at 1 with this.. he now at 3 knows if his toys aren't picked up, they get taken away.. doesn't mean he doesn't test it but you have to be stern
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Pick up what you firstgot out before you get another, sometimes If it is not picked up I put it up for a whhile, play a race game...mine LOVE that, clean up to a song...get it cleaned before the dong ends,, it may be possible that the clean up is to overwelming for her clean up WITH her? not have so many toys out at one time...try and make it fun
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If you want to go a non-spanking route, which might take longer and will involve more screaming, take the toys away. Tell her that if she cannot clean up her toys, she's not going to get them.
    She will scream and kick and have fits, but stick to it.

The later, give her 1 toy, maybe 2, and remind her that she's getting those toys if she promises to clean them up afterwards. If she then refuses to clean them up afterwards, then, no toys again for a day.
    Increase the amount of time that she goes w/o toys until she gets the message.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 1:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Make it fun! Sing a clean up song like "clean it up! clean it up! Put it away, put it away, put your things away!!" My Son sings it to himself now. I also have boxes & he throws his toys in from a distance like a ball toss. I also say "clean up your cars, I have to vacuum & I'll vacuum them up and then there gone forever!" He cleans them up like a rocket. He even cleans things up now in preschool & playtime at the Library! I never have to yell.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You could try taking privileges away from her.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• this is what i did when my oldest was 3 and she told me no to cleaning her toys:

got a huge trashbag and threw everything that wasnt picked up in it and put it outside in the garage. i told her i was giving all her toys away to a kid who would love them better and not leave them lying all over the house. she was devastated at this, so i calmly explained to her that i will give her her toys back if she promises to clean them up when asked. and that i will even help her i just dont want to do it all by myself since i didnt make the mess, she did. she is 4 now and has absolutely zero problems cleaning up when asked. :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011