Looking for ideas on how to surprise our teens with trip to Orlando.

We are going to Orlando for spring break and our two teens (13 & 18) do not know about it. I am looking for ideas on how to surprise them. So far most of the searches I've done are for little kids. We will be visiting Epcot and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I was thinking of something to do with HP as both of my boys are huge fans but I can't come up with anything really cool. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks :)

Mom2NandJ

Asked by Mom2NandJ at 1:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Travel

• Make it into a treasure hunt with things like maps, disposable cameras, a new summer outfit. Hide things around the house week before leaving would be a nice way to surprise them.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Tell them something completely false, like you're going to look at endangered trees or something really boring like that. It can even be really outlandish, that they obviously don't believe, but that way they won't know what's going on. My mom used to always tell us that we were going "leaf peeping" (looking at the fall foliage). It only really worked when we were younger, but it was her way of saying "I'm not telling you where we're going."
    ladykyr

Answer by ladykyr at 1:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Do you have the latest HP movie? If not, buy it and slip the itinerary in there or tickets or whatever and when they go to open it...
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think trying the fake story is a good idea. Tell them you are going to do something boring and when they get there, make sure you have a camera to catch the looks on their faces.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 1:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Sounds like fun. I am not a big HP fanatic but you could do something really simple like buying one of the wands and telling them that you are doing magic tricks--start out with silly things (as they are never going to really believe it and then wave the wand over them and say ya, a real magic trick would be to make a trip to Disney appear under your chair (where you already have the confirmations taped down).
    You could also tell them they are going to do something like a school tour so they can get interested in their future and then mix up Hogwart into the school itineraries.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would suggest making a kind of marauders map. You could try to get a map of one of the parks you are going to vist on the computer and print it so it looks like an old parchment. Fold it up similar to what the marauders map looked like in the movie and give it to them.

If you wanted to make it even cooler, make the map so that it's a map of your house. Put the tickets somewhere in the house and add a mark to the map that says Harry Potter on it, so they have to go to that spot and they can find the tickets.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You need to wear something like Mickey Mouse ears, or that cape thing Harry wears and carry a wand, and don't say anything to either of the kids. Don't answer any questions. Just suddenly have it on walking around in the house going about your usual. And wait for the reactions. It would be great if you can get their reactions on video! You'll have a blast in Orlando.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 4:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Do like on the Disneyworld commercial - tell them an hour before you go to the airport. Tell them to pack their stuff, we're going to Florida!
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 11:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I like the map idea - you could make it like the Maurader's map!

If you wanted to get really fancy you could get one of those talking hats and record a message in it.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2011