My baby Can read does this really work?

My kids are 4 & 6 what would you recommend for there age range would this work for them or is it a total scam

ExtremlyUnique

Asked by ExtremlyUnique at 1:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• To improve their skills - play games that require reading. read together. write stories. remember that reading is more than books - write treasure maps with clues they have to read, shopping lists,etc. FiInd things they are interested in and locate the books, magazine, etc to match.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's only for babies. Your kids are old enough for you to teach them letters, the sounds they make, sounding out words, what words begin with. Get some preschool work books. The 6 year old doesn't read?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have never tried.. i thought about buying it, but i didn't b.c i feel that when they're ready they will begin on there own! Gl
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• We ordered the system, it is NOT the only thing you will have to do though so no I wouldn't recommend it.  It did teach my then 3 and 4 year old to "read" but it doesn't cover simpler things like I would have liked.  ABCs for example.  I would think they would teach the ABCs before teaching full words but nope, I was mistaken when I got it and it does not.  We have had to redo everything the system did.  And for a lot cheaper, they have learned their ABCs and how to pronounce words instead of just memorizing a bunch of words.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's recommended for ages birth to 5-6 years. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Oh well if your just working on their skills then I'd say sure!  They also have sets that teach your child different languages if you want to start early!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree with mompam also.  I got the preschool workbooks and they have worked MUCH better and they are cheaper than buying a set that only teaches certain words.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thanks I was just curious both my sons can read just looking into new things to try to improve their skills
    ExtremlyUnique

Comment by ExtremlyUnique (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think it's a big scam! It is not developmentally appropriate at those ages to just learn words. They need to learn basic phonics first.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011