Hubby fell a week ago on ice

He has no insurance so refuses to be checked because we really cannot afford another bill . but he is moaning and groaning in pain and at home. today his boss told him to get well or find a different job. Was that fair? he is taking something for the pain it is over the counter. he fell on ice on his way walking to his job during ice storm. Can they fire him for being hurt when he is doing his job? he has been harassed by anther employee and they will not do anything. They tell my husband how dedicated he is to his job and he gets a bonus every so often because of how he works. I mean yes i am tired of him whining to. Last night i was on asking about some severe pain i was in with my back i was able to work my pain out thankfully. We cannot afford for him to lose this job. I am at my wits end. Do i tell him to go to the hospital or shut up? and if i tell him to shut up then i think i am being b***chy. I know he is in pain. he fell like three times that week and the worst fall was on our DD birthday. :( I just do not know what to do he is so darn stubborn to.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Health

• A trip to the chiropractor would be much cheaper, and would probably give him better results (unless something is broken).
    Anonymous

• he could have broken or damaged something, my husband slipped on ice last year and ruptured a disc in his bak. He needs to go to the hospital if it has been this long, he could be making things worse by not getting treated
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 2:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Also where was the ice he slipped on? Work property? the side walk in front of a business or residence? Homer owners insurance and the insurance businesses carry are supposed to cover him and treatment of his injuries. so it's not about him not having money for it, but taking the proper steps...now if it was your own property....well then he's out of luck.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Second anon, way to be an a$$. People can seriously be hurt from falling on ice. My sister broke her tailbone when she fell. So, yes, he could be hurting bad.

OP, can he contact HR?
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• What about workmen's comp; you say he got hurt doing his job.
    Anonymous

• he was walking to the job not on it yet. he was on a city road.
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• the company just went out of business a week ago and it was during the ice storm. he was on the city road due to no sidewalks.

WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• then contact the city parks department....find out if it's THEIR sidewalk or the owner of the property. Even if the business on the property is out of business there is still someone who OWNS that property and is responsible for keeping sidewalks clear
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Where is his pain? If it is tailbone injury, there is nothing they can do but let it heal on it's own. But if he goes to the hospital he can get an order for light duty. Maybe his boss will accept that. It is going to cost a bunch of money, but most hospitals have an indigent program for people that can not pay the full amount.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If he is hurt that bad then he needs to see the doctor if he plans to miss work or have light duty. They cannot excuse him for that unless he has a note from a doctor!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011