Will the 20 week ultrasound find most birth defects?

I am 34 and my husband is 41 and this pregnancy, I have been freaked out about the baby having a birth defect. I colored my hair while I was pregnant (didn't know I was pregnant) and with our ages, and I was using a skincare line that you aren't suppose to use while pregnant. So I am just scared!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They can see some during a sonogram and there is also blood work that can be done as well as an amniocentesis. If they see something during your ultrasound they may order extra tests. You probably don't have anything to worry about. congrats
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think most scans now are very details and they can spot most serious things.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 4:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Many women color their hair throughout their pregnancies and many use whatever skin care line they like--I have yet to meet anyone who a disabled child due to beauty products, so try not to worry.

Ultrasounds don't necessarily find all birth defects, but they do see pictures of your baby's organs, take measurements and check gender but all of that is done to make sure your baby is developing properly. The blood work you have around 12 weeks is the first step, followed by additional blood work if the test comes back positive. You can always opt for an amnio, too.

Please be gentle with yourself. I know it's hard not to worry, but don't give yourself anything to worry about without cause.

Wishing the best for you and baby!
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 6:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There are lots of birth defects that can happen that have nothing to do with anything you did. Our baby will be born with a cleft palate or cleft lip, but there's nothing we could have done differently.
    Just know that whatever is meant to be, is meant to be.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011