I feel horrible for this but...

So my best friend of 16 years ended up in the hospital today. For years he has failed to take his health seriously. He works a desk job and all of his hobbies are computer based so he uses that as an excuse to never exercise. He hates his wife's cooking so he always eats fast food. He has had a bad knee and ankle for well over 5 years because of lack of exercise they can't support his weight. His work is only 1 mile from the train that gets him home but he takes a cab every day because his knees hurt too much. He's 27 and when forced to take stairs he double steps each one!

Well today he collapsed in pain and was taken to an emergency room on the other side of the city from me. And all I can think of is that I hope this is a wake up call to take better care of himself! Maybe I'm cruel for thinking that. But he has done this to himself despite my relentless invites to cooking classes, and walking activities.

Maybe I'm a bad friend

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 2:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Relationships

• Sounds like you're a good friend who is concerned. You cannot make someone help themselves, so sometimes a scary wake up call is in order.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• well, hes lucky his wake-up call did not involve a stroke or heart-attack from lack of exercise and poor eating habits. i would feel the same way you do, and hope that he learns something from this. hes very young and can still have a long life ahead of him but only he is in control of that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I dont think you are mean you do want him to change his ways and sometimes people need a wakeup call. Maybe now is the time he will need your support to make those changes!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• For some, it takes drastic measures for them to realize that they only have one body...one life. He will get better and I believe this will help him realize he has much to live for!
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 3:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• no you're not cruel...him and 60% of america need to wake up to take better care of themselves. 60% of the population is obese and in a couple years obesity will be the number one cause of preventable death before smoking. imagine weight killing more people than smoking!!
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You're not a horrible person. Some people truly need a wake up call to take better care of themselves. I had a wake up call of my own and now I am on the right track except that mine didn't put me in the hospital. Just talk to him and tell him that you love him and want him to happy and healthy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That's too bad. Hopefully this is his wake up call and he starts taking his health more seriously. You're a good friend for trying - hopefully this will be motivation enough to get him moving.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm sorry for your friend. I hope he does see this as a wake up call.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Thank you all. I'm obviously worried about him but I'm mad at him too. I'm mad at his wife too. I will be going to visit him tomorrow if he is admitted overnight. I simply can't make it down to see him tonight. I just hope my temper doesn't get the better of me and I go slap him when I get there. Even though he will probably be expecting it.
    meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am sure you are concerned for your friends well being but it is hard not to look at one's lifestyle when tragedy hits. Remeber they won't put someone on a organ transplant (lung, kidney, liver) if you drink or smoke. Maybe this will open his eyes to his bad lifestyles choices.
    runningmom5505

Answer by runningmom5505 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011