Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps


just found out my pipes have busted under the house in my daughters bathroom, now I have to wait to find out when it can be fixed and my landlord thinks we can stay in the house with no water, I have a 5yr old a 2 yr old and a 4month old. REALLY?? I need water....... highly annoyed now I have to dish out the money to get a hotel so I can be somewhere I can shower bathe my kids and make bottles

Answer Question

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 3:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 17 (3,654 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • What state you live in? I know in WA if something like this happens the landlord HAS to put you in a hotel.

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Wow..that really sucks. My best friend called me yesturday morning..thier pipes had frozen over and thier toilet wouldnt even flush.

    She just had the kids take showers at her in laws.

    Maybe if you don't want to go to a hotel you can do somethign like that and buy bottled water for the babies bottles?
    Good Luck..I hope they fix it soon!

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Can you pay a Plumber to fix it right away & have your landlord reimburse you? Some Plumbers will come in an hour. Even if you have to pay for some of it, it will be cheaper then a Hotel.


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Usually the landlord has to have it repaired in a timely manner. If it is extensive, the renter's insurance might include coverage for housing while it is fixed.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 3:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Call the tenants union right away it costs you nothing to get info and you can learn your rights online too. Depending on what state they give him only a certain amount of time to get the repair done. Get help right away.

    Answer by chgomom at 3:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • I am certified by the National Apartment leasing association and have worked in hotels (mostly extended stay) for over a decade so I have heard this scenario before. Whatever state you are in you have rights.Unfortunately to get intervention it might take some time. I don't know your particilar state laws If you have apartment insurance of any kind you should call them first because they will usually act on your behalf and help you bridge the funds when the landlord squabbles. Start by calling your local health department because first and foremost they probably can get him on health violations. Not all health departments or government agencies they send you to are fast, efficient or easy to deal with but often the same landlords who try to play on your ignorance and keep you in a house like that are fear them. Simply telling the landlord you don't think its right and you are calling the health department might make him act

    Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Oh no! Best of luck hun!!!

    Answer by alyssamal at 3:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Hugs

    Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

  • Do you have renters insurance? Maybe you can stay with a friend or family until it is fixed. good luck.

    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.