Alone time with each child?

Do you spend alone time with each of your children? Do you think it is important to have one on one time or is it better to have family time all together?

momof2cuteboys

Asked by momof2cuteboys at 3:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think some one on one with each child is important as well as having all family time together.
    It is hard sometimes to be able to get that quality one on one time in...especially when you have really little ones that require a whole lot of attention,lol.
    Like last night..I had my 2 smaller ones on my bed gettting them dressed for bed when my 10 year old comes bounding in all hyper.I got aggravated with him and made him leave the room.I felt bad. So after I put the 2 little ones in bed, I went to my oldests room and sat and talked with him for a little while. It was nice :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It is important for alone time with each child, even if it is for 30-60 min a week. It lets them know that you see them as special and not just a part of the whole (family). Family time is important too. Make an evening of it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think that it important to spend both alone and family time together
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Both are important. When I was a single mom with three young boys, I use to take turns one night a week and keep one of the boys up for an extra hour and we would do something special.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have five kids all completely separate and special individuals. I spend time with each doing their special thing at least once a week and we do family movie night and trips. I think its important they have their own interests and you dedicate yourself getting to know more about it. This is true the older they get. I really believe this creates a bond that lasts.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 3:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes. But we only have one child. My husband and I make sure he gets alone time with each parent. We call them "dates." So he has a daddy date and other times he has a Mommy date. But we also make sure to spend time as a family too. I do believe that kids should have alone time with a parent but sometimes that is so hard to do. What I always pass on: pick thirty minutes a week. It can be while the youngest is in the bath. It can be taking just one to the store with you. Anything. It can be one child you keep up after the rest have gone to bed, each kids get's their time at some point, to have a few minutes of special time. But yes, I do believe it is very important.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think that both are important but I agree w/ kimberlyinberea...sometimes it's hard w/little ones. I have one on one time w/my youngest (10 months) every Wednesday while her sister (4) is at preschool and wish I had a full day w/my 4 year old as well. I get about an hour a week one on one time w/her. =(
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think that you should have a balance of both. I like to spend alone time with my babies when I can but family time is very important too.
    biebermommy

Answer by biebermommy at 5:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think both are very important. My mom used to take me and my lil brother on "date" nights separetly about once a month. I only have one DS but if I ever have anymore children, I would like to continue this with my kids.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Are all you in an intact family. No ex? I ask because this is a huge debate in my group. Some SM's don't like one on one time.... I find that odd
    momof2cuteboys

Comment by momof2cuteboys (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011