What is the best age to start spanking or time outs?

What age did you start to discipline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• When ever you feel comfortable with it and they need it
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 3:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I started discipline at at about 6-7 mos when my LO started crawling and getting into things. The earlier you start and the more consistent you are the better off you are.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My general rule of thumb is no time-out (in true form) until the age of 2. I believe children just do not understand the concept before this age and are not developmentally ready to. Up until 2 I discipline by redirecting, naps, when clearly exhaustion is the issue, and redirecting some more. Lots of positive reinforcement, and not placing the child in a situation I know will cause a problem (a Dr. office with absolutely no toys, expecting them to sit there). If they're absolutely out of control and over tired I sit them on my lap and allow them to scream/kick/yell/ while I hold on and rock. I only spank when my child's life is in immediate danger, twice in 5 years. Once when he ran into the street, once when he repeatedly tried to touch a hot stove after being told NO several times. I don't spank on a regular basis, because then when I find it necessary to do, he responds very quickly because he knows mom means business.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Also keep in mind discipline and punishment are not the same things. Discipline is to set boundaries for a child, teach them right from wrong, give them morals. Punishment is the ending result of breaking a house rule. You can discipline a child from the day they are born, but place an 8 month old in time-out (punishment) and you've accomplished nothing.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• @Tarrar, that sounds the same as a time out? What makes it different?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I dont spank my daughter but I get down to her level and let her know she has done bad. I mean timeouts are ok. I say around the time they can walk.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I found out around 6 months old if I put my son in a time out (with him it was about 1 minute, maybe even less), he was automatically ready to reform. I taught him that if he wanted to get out of time out he had to calm down (stop crying). then we would work on whatever got him in there in the first place (EG, now that he's older, not putting away a toy---I'd take him back to the toy, and he'd put it away after the time out). Normally he doesn't need time out, and just does what he's supposed to do, but when he does have his time out, once he gets out he says "sorry mommy", and goes to fix what he did wrong. Then I say "thank you my boy, good job" (or the like). Also, we flick him on the count of 3, if he doesn't want to follow instructions, and we aren't somewhere we can put him in time out. He hates being flicked, so we rarely have to get past "1, 2...."
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 11:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• never never never! Dont spank or give time outs!! Seriously, they DO NOT WORK and they make your child feel really bad. Instead of time outs, do quiet time. Send them to an area in your home, that you have set up for them to sit and process, go with them, and talk to them about WHY they are in the quiet area. And please, don't ever spank your kids. I study early childhood behavior, and I am a preschool teacher. trust me!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 3:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011