Side rail cribs?

Ok. I know that they have been banned in retail stores, but the one I have has never been recalled, has three points to unlock AT THE SAME TIME inorder to have the side go down to the first setting and can be converted into a small toddler bed. Now that my daughter is growing out of it I wanted to sell it at a flea market or yard sale, but a friend said that due to the ban I can not do this.
I can understand people being leery,and do not want to make light of the deaths involved with side rail cribs, but when there is nothing wrong with it why am I not allowed to resell it?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 3:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Shopping

• I can olny assume that by selling it, you would be passing the risk onto someone else. What you should do is call the retailer (if you purchased new) and demand a refund. I believe they said they would honor the refunds if you had proof of purchase. The reason being is now the product is worthless and cannot be sold or given away.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 3:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have contacted the retailer and since there is no recall or ban where I bought it they will not offer me a refund. I just feel strange having it go to the dump. Perhaps selling it as a toddler bed?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That's a good idea. Just throw the side away (that makes it a crib) and sell as a toddler bed! Explain to them why you did that as well. They will appreciate the honesty.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 9:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• you can't sell a crib that has the drop side rail if you have one they tell people to just throw them away but every store is bannign them since now it's has become a law. i had one and it was recalled twice i throw mine away.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Followed the link to the info on the ban and found the following: What is JPMA's stance on the safety of drop sides that haven't been recalled and may be in stores or homes? Are they safe? Our position is that these cribs are perfectly safe, when used and assembled in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, and provided they are not damaged or broken.

As a parent or caregiver, should I discontinue use of my drop side crib?
    As long as they are properly assembled, fully functional and not subject to a recall, drop side cribs can be safely used. If you own a crib that is part of the recall announced, we strongly recommend that parents follow the corrective action of the company and the CPSC relative to this recall.

So the one I have is not from any manufacture that is recalling them, is only 2.3 years old and is fully functioning, and properly assembled and yet I cannot sell it? Something doesn't make sense here.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Like I said before. I'll just sell it as a toddler bed and give them the rail for artwork or something.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Take it to Babies R Us by 2/21 and do their trade in thing.
    http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=4346706&ab=Bru_homepage_aspot:2:Gear-Trade-In-Event
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i guess no one wants to take the risk of a crib that's consider unsafe even if it has not been recalled.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'll sell it as a doll crib for collectors.
    Thanks everyone.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011