What is a good way to reward an excellent report card for a first grader?

My daughter did great in kindergarten but had some trouble during the first semester of first grade, however report cards were sent home today and she has made a phenomenal improvement - I wish report cards had come home on time (but didn't because of school being cancelled all last week due to building damage from the snow) because what I have planned tomorrow would have been a great reward (she's in the same grade and good friends with the son of a girl I went to school with and was friends with and she called me yesterday to ask my daughter to  go to the monster truck show with them since they had an extra ticket) but I since I already told her she'd be seeing him tomorrow I no longer have that as a reward since she knew she was going before I got her report card. So I need new ideas...

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Lots of hugs and kisses, and definitely express that it is HER success, and stress how SHE feels about it! In the long run, working to make you proud is not going to be enough: but recognizing how wonderful it feels to do well for herself will encourage her to continue!
    Ask her what she would like, but stress that it should involve spending special time with her and not so much a tangible reward. Way to go!!
    boyita

Answer by boyita at 3:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• A special "mom day " with her. Take her to her favorite place to eat.. and maybe get your nails painted or see a movie! :)
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 4:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• let her know what a great job she did. We give 3 to 5 dollars depending on grades. I have a kindergaren, 3rd grade, and 1st grade. But other ideas would be something she likes to do like maybe a special day out with you, take her to a movie, a new book if she loves to read. Just something small to show she is doing a good job and they seem to want to keep doing good if you let them know they are working hard.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Take her on her own special trip to the library. My kids LOVE to do that.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• We went out for ice cream!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• When my kids brought home a good report card I'd let them pick out what they wanted for dinner, either going out to eat or to fix their favorite dinner at home. Or bake their favorite cookies.
    downsznmomof4

Answer by downsznmomof4 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2011