Do your children talk to you about thier crushes/boyfriend/girlfriend..basically thier "love" life(lol)?

My son is 10 (he'll be 11 this March).
I won't go into the details of his "love life" cuz he probably wouldnt be happy about it if he found out I was sharing this info with a bunch of other moms,lol.
BUT...
I just wanted to ask other moms if your kids talk to you about this stuff to?
He didn't really start talking to me about it until a few months ago when he informed me he was having a "one year anniversary" with his girlfriend,lol.ok..thats all the info I can say.
I was like whaaaaaaaa...??? I didn't even know he had a g.friend??
So ever since this has become clear to me..I've been asking him stuff and he talks to me about all of it (boy there is drama at 10!! holy cow!) and asking for my advice.

Like, how do you respond? I mean...for example...this girl dumped him for another kid and my son was heart broken right...(oh my gosh he's gonna kill me for putting this out here! maybe I should do this anon?) so I said..well you can do better anyway.It was just my initial reaction..my baby was heartbroken afterall...he comes home the next day and tells me..he told her what I said!!! I was like..omg! no you didnt! LOL Guess I have to watch what I say but still be supportive of him and on his side? wow..do I really have to go through this?? LOL awwww...my baby is growing up.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• DS is 11 and he has a crush, he talks to me and only me about it. ) I hope he continues to do so as he gets older and more serious.

Be glad that he values your opinion and thoughts!

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes my boys tell me all kinds of things, I feel very lucky that they are that comfortable talking to me. Even when they were very young we talked about relationships. As the girls starting asking the boys to be their boyfriend, they would always ask whats a nice way to say no, I've always stressed the importance of being nice and that you don't have to be every girls boyfriend, and that you shouldn't get to serious with anyone. My oldest told me he would never have a girlfriend until college, well that lasted until Sophmore year in HS. My younger son is 12 and has this on again/off again thing with a girl in his class. She recently "dumped" him for another guy in another town, I asked my son about it and he was clearly devasted, I told him he is really too young to invest too much thinking about it. That it does hurt one's ego but it doesn't mean he's a bad person and to just enjoy his friends, that seemed to help.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I remember my DD who was 12 at the time was waiting for me to pick her up from school. This boy asked to be her boyfriend and she told him she has a boyfriend, but at another school. SHe told me she said this because boys are stupid. I guess that is good, I know she has a major crush on Edward from Twilight though.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 3:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My children were not allowed to have boyfriends or girlfriends at this age. Crushes, yes but actual boyfriend/girlfriend relationships are not acceptable under my roof. Once my children were old enough to begin having girlfriends and boyfriends, we talked and I gave advice on an as needed basis...since we already talked about sex and everything that goes along with it, my children were comfortable to come to me to talk...
    treasured_hope

Answer by treasured_hope at 4:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• my daughter has a boyfriend as she calls him. i tell her she is to young. she is 10. but he is anther class, they barely see each other and only at school. she tells me about the crushes etc
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes they do and I just answer I feel with each question.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 5:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• LOL wildcat...I wonder if it syour daughter and my son that are the "item" haha..its the same thing for him..seperate clsses at school, never see eachother other than school. i tell him hes too young too..but school crushes are normall..right? i think..if i can remember correctly back that far!lol
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011