How important will it be for the next President to be well educated in Foreign policy?

With the turmoil in the middle East and the myriad of problems in most other countries there is hardly a Country that isn't in some kind of trouble. Will you be looking for someone who is well educated in foreign policy? What will be your top 2 qualifications and has it changed from a year ago?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Alan West
    Anonymous

• Extremely important.

Trying to think what my qualifications were. Oh yeah, we had 2 lousy choices and I picked what I thought was the lesser of 2 evils. I honestly never liked McCain but voted for him anyways.

I think mine would be the same....Foreign policy and economy. Doesn't matter to me which is 1 and which is 2.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 3:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It'll be at least as important as it is for our CURRENT President to get educated in Foreign Policy !

The White House team shows abysmal ignorance, ineptitude and arrogance in guiding the President on Foreign Policy.

... come to think of it, in all OTHER areas of governance, too ... hmm.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Well.... Obama and his administration have proven themselves to be (at best) gaffe-tastic, inexperienced, academics.... I don't agree with them... Sooooooooooo, I think our nation deserves something better than what we have currently...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Extremely. The Middle East will have done a complete flip-flop, IMO, by the time the 2012 elections roll around. I expect there to be a LOT more Muslim influence and we need a President who understands that culture.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 4:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Highly important
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Always extremely important ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's always important. Most important, though, is electing presidents that don't start unjust wars like, say, in Iraq, for example.
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Good point, peggy ... except that the war in Iraq was started by Saddam Hussein when he attacked Kuwait, so ...

... and just in case anyone is under the (media-fabricated) impression that the more recent action in Iraq was a separate deal from Desert Storm, call to mind that Desert Storm ended with a cease-fire, NOT any treaty. Saddam agreed to cease hostilities and behave according to the cease-fire requirements set out by the UN. This was a list of ways for Saddam to demonstrate that he was not continuing, nor planning to resume hostilities.

A cease-fire is only in effect so long as the culprit abides by the cease-fire agreement. The whole point is that if he (Saddam) violates the agreement, if his behavior is again violating international law, then he can expect that hostilities will resume.

For 12 YEARS, Saddam flouted UN resolution after UN resolution.

GW Bush did not "start" that war, and it wasn't unjust.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Very much so!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2011