Any migraine sufferers out there?

I'm a long time sufferer. I can get them and be down from 2-8 days in a row and it's horrible. I take relpax or Imitrex but sometimes it doesn't work, recently my sister in law told me to try an herb called Feverfew at onset of the migraine and it helps her, has anyone heard of this or has anyone tried anything else that has helped?
I take a daily med to prevent them so I only get them once a month now (from 4-5 times a month) but I'd like to lesson the days I'm actually sick..Thanks!

prettyinink2011

Asked by prettyinink2011 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Health

• i always get migraines usually 1 a month. i normally take 2 percs and go lay down to sleep for a few hours. doctor gave me something, but it didn't work. if you find that this stuff helps, please let me know!! I will use and/or try ANYTHING!!!!!!!!
    hkarpo

Answer by hkarpo at 11:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• never heard of it... but I would try it, too...anything to stop the migraines, PLEASE!
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 4:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I've had migraines since 2nd grade, i'm currently 23. The longest one landed me in the hospital for 2 weeks, and I lost 10lbs from vomiting during it. Now they're not so frequent, maybe 4-5 total throughout the year. Usually a dark quiet room with ice helps mine, and I typically take Imitrex or Zomeg. I find the imitrex takes away the pain faster, but leaves me with some nasty side effects. Zomeg takes a little longer to work but when the migraine breaks I'm not left feeling icky from the meds. I've never heard of the herb or tried it so I can't offer any help there, sorry. But I can sympathize with your pain :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Lots of people here get migraines when we have a chinook (myself included).
    Usually when I get really bad headaches, I lay down with a cold cloth on my head and it helps...sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Ice usually hurts my head worse and I can't figure that one out. I heard that botox helps and our insurance will pay for it if it's medical related so I was going to look into that because it's just getting pretty bad and when I'm sick, I'm really sick like you said..I appreciate the comments ladies :)
    prettyinink2011

Comment by prettyinink2011 (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Feverfew has limited success as a headache/migraine reducer. I'd suggest you try a lavender eye pillow warmed in either the oven or the microwave, or some kind of warmth across the back of the neck and/or across your temples. The headache is from blood vessels constricting and reducing blood flow, the heat will open the blood flow again.

When I was in high school I'd get cluster migraines. Not so much now, years later. When I DO get a migraine though 4 advil liquid gels, a dark, quiet room and some sleep is about all that works.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011