Does red food coloring make your child hyper or emotional?

My children are allergic to it.I found out the hard way.I couldn't figure out why they were so upset.Crying and carrying on.Normally my kid's are so happy.Bingo!!!! (Red Food Dye) Red period does'nt matter what number.

Mommy1234321

Asked by Mommy1234321 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Health

• Nope, but I know it does affect lots of kids. I've had plenty of students in class that could not handle it - Valentine's Day parties were a nightmare!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Red food coloring, especially red #40 was banned in this country back in the 80's, as I was told by a former co-worker, it was linked to breast cancer and so they banned it. I have since seen it back on the market in pre-packaged foods, and it is also the ingredient that makes all the "pink" products that are suppose to support the breast cancer cause!!!

Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My son no, but as a child I was, it caused migraines. For years I couldn't eat red anything without getting a headache, I finally outgrew it sometime in high school.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• no, but DD's skin breaks out in a rash with both red and yello! :(
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 4:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No but when I was a child, red food coloring made me wheeze very badly.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 4:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Not my kids but my 14 yr old nephew...oh my it makes him a different kid....and NOT for the better
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Not that I've noticed, but he's not quite 3 and started eating solids late ...
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011