Adding formula

So at my son's 9 month checkup my doctor suggested I add some formula to supplement because he weight has only gone up a few ounces. I am definitely going to be doing that, however it really breaks my heart and I feel so sad about it. I decided to offer him a bottle of formula first and then nurse to try and hold on a little bit longer. I know my son definitely wants to keep nursing because he won't even take a bottle! Did anyone else have trouble with milk supply around this time?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the only thing that has you concerned is a plateau in weight gain, I wouldn't be concerned at all. This is very typical of a child that age. Regardless of how *I* feel, and what *I'd* do, you need to do what you feel is best, now you have some more information then you did before, and it may help you reach your decision. I'm sure you'll do what's best for YOUR family.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If you supplement, your supply will only get worse, and go away all together. The way to make sure your baby gains and you keep your supply is to increase your nursing. I will never understand why doctors like to sabotage nursing. It's very common.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 4:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Doc is wrong here. There's a BIG slow down on gain during the second 6 months... this is totally normal. Also, he might be taking in too much solids... 3 meals plus a snack for a 9 month old is a LOT of food and that can cause them to loose weight or gain slowly.

I wouldn't even think about the formula, I'd be sure to nurse a full session before any solids and hopefully he will take more milk. Are you currently nursing before solids?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• "My ped said the caloric value of milk drops off at 6 months and thats why"

Haha, what?!? Thats a huge red flag that you've got a bad doctor. Why would the caloric value of milk drop off at any time? Yes, the milk changes as baby gets older to suit babies needs... but it wouldn't change in a way to harm babies growth or development.

I would guess either
    A. he's getting too many solids
    B. He's perfectly fine and doctor is not seeing the baby for the scale.

Weight is a poor indication of anything. You want to see a happy baby making plenty of diapers and meeting milestones. Scales really mean very little unless one of those other things is off.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I don't think it's necessary to start adding formula. Does your son eat baby food and finger foods? I'd just keep up with those in addition to nursing!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was only able to nurse exclusively for about a month and a half .. I would nurse while at home for the most part and give formula if we were out.. or if it just didnt feel like he wa getting enough :( I know it's such a heartbreaker.. i hated it too.. and it can be tricky to get him attached to the bottle.. but you will get there! Keep trying and keep your chin up :)
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 4:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There are ways to naturally increase your supply, but if you start formula feeding then your supply will continue to decrease. I'm not against supplementing if you want, but if you want to continue nursing then you should nurse first then do formula instead of the other way around. Nursing more often is an easy way to increase supply, cutting back on solids, and then there is fenugreek and mother's milk tea can also be helpful.

Answer by missanc at 4:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Most important lesson for any mom when it comes to their kids health? You cannot trust doctors. They make mistakes, they have misguided opinions and they aren't with your child like you are. My son was just hospitalized for 2 weeks and we saw at least 5 really bad doctors during that time. Doctors that misdiagnosed a simple pneumonia, allowed it to become complicated and waited too long to check for complications. If they can mess up on the big stuff, be sure they can mess up on the little stuff. You really need to research everything on your own and take your doctors opinion along with all the other info. You are your child's advocate and you get the final say. Ask questions about why they have a certain opinion or suggest a certain thing, but check that opinion against outside info and your own common sense.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Also, I generally don't take the doctors word on anything breast feeding related, unless the doctor is also an IBCLC. If something he's said sparks a concern, I would speak to an IBCLC, or an LLL leader, or MAYBE a nutritionist, as a 2nd opinion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yea, I do 3 meals a day and snack! (we do 3rd stage baby food) And to top if off my doc said he's great fine and healthy, just small. He's really active and has always been in the 20th percentile!
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2011