2nd degree burns...HELP..PLEASE HELP

Okay first off, thanks to the moms that helped me this morning when I was in too much pain to figure out how to keep gauze on and over the burn.

THANK YOU!!

However, I have a new dilemma.

The burn itself is a minor 2nd degree burn. I was told to take care of it at home with neosporin, cleaning it as needed and keeping ti wrapped up in gauze to avoid infection. Tylenol for pain.

The first layer of skin has peeled and I was told not to take it off myself. There are a few blisters.

All in all the pain is at about a 5 until it needs to be cleaned.

The new dilemma I am having it when I go to change the gauze its STUCK. My guess it the fluid that is leaking is the culprit. Anyway, I keep having to ripe the gauze off my flesh. It #%%&% HURTS.

So do I leave it unwrapped? But then what? I have on pants because I have no shorts. Won't it stick to my pants? They are loose though?

Wrap it back up? With what?

And I need a shower. Sweet doc of mine failed to mention what i'm supposed to do then..

I know its alot ladies but if you have some advice....THANK YOU

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 4:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Health

• I would cover it with a non-stick (Telfa) pad. It will still pull when coming off, but not as bad as gauze. Why is your doctor having you use neosporin? I always thought silver sulfadiazine (sp?) was the go-to ointment for burns. I don't know if it is OTC, you may need a script, but I think it goes on burns better.

As for showering, I'd shower as usual (avoiding direct spray to the area) and practically ignore the wound. Gently pat or air dry, then dress as usual.

I hope you find rapid healing!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Aloe Vera from a plant will help sooth the burned area. Home depot or a florist shop has them. Also, if you peeled off skin, use pure vitamin E, break a tablet and spread the gel on the burn, it will prevent scarring.

Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If your at home run around in your underwear and let it breathe. They make non stick gauze pads that you can tape around the edges not where the burn is.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My nephew had a 2nd degree burn on his arm a few years ago. My mom (old school) had Aloe Vera plant that she would cut and squeeze the aloe out and rub it on the burn. He said it gave him some relief from the pain. Anyways I am with Charis use the non-stick pads.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Soak in a bath to make it easier. I did htat for my son. Soak in a bath put on the perscribed ointment dry and wrap. wraping it keep stuff from getting into it.. Use anything a clean old tshit, sock, whatever.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 7:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• To get the gauze unstuck use a little saline spray to moisten it.

My husband had 3rd degree burns and when he got hime I had to change his gauze daily, this helped.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You can get something called 2nd skin its a gelly kind of bandaid & it feels so good just like skin its delicate....also you should try to let the air get to it after 2 or 3 days not covered all the time but only when needed....I guess its a burn on your leg? if ya need to shower make it fast * you can try wrapping your leg with saran wrap just so the water isn't beating down on your wound & keeps it dry....ouch good luck I had a douzy of a burn on my arm last summer!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011