Why are working mothers so mad all of the time?

Here is one author's theory ~ http://www.newsweek.com/2011/02/06/mommy-is-busy-right-now.html

“Why are working mothers so furious all the time?” I was asked recently. An answer, not entirely rational, springs to mind: “Personally, I could use a travel agent.” It’s a joke, sort of. School vacation is coming up. I’m swamped at work, and trip planning has become a time-consuming hell. A simple family vacation requires innumerable visits to destination websites; a suspicious scouring of rankings and reviews; and, at the heart-stopping final moment, a purchase on a site where prices and availability seem to change by the second. In the old days, it was simple. A woman would call a travel agent, and voilà! The trip would be booked. Now agents charge $35 a ticket. Don’t get me started on fees.

The yearning for an old-school travel agent is a metaphor for deeper and probably insoluble problems of domestic life, circa 2011. First, any illusion that mothers might have had about full-time employment as a “lifestyle choice” has, in this economy, been stripped away. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics data, 77 percent of American women with school-age children work; a quarter say they sometimes work from home; a third work on the weekends. Why? Women fare better than men in this employment market."

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• When I was a working mom I wasn't mad all of the time. I loved my job and really enjoyed the people I worked with. I think this an overgeneralization of working moms.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm a working mom and I'm not mad at the time.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• i don't think they are mad. i think they may find themselves overworked, due to being controlling, possibly..and used to be The One to get things done, which could cause stress and anxiety..but its totally a personal issue. not all working-mothers are this way. its nice if/when a parent (let's not pigeon-hole only mothers!) can balance work/family, and i think most do.
    i agree with scout..this article is a gross overgeneralization...er, one person's opinion, as well.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am a working mother and not mad.. I am envious of SAHM's but its not in the cards for our situation for me to stay home.. My husband would also love to be a stay at home dad.. we aren't MAD About it.. Sad maybe about it.. I guess guilt is more of a factor in how i feel.. I LOve my son and hate that someone else raising/watches him while I am working... but at the same time.. i love his provider and she is so much more patient and creative and educated than I am so truly, he will learn better from her in acedemics..I guess I could go on but you get the jist.. not angry though
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm a working mother and I don't think I'm mad. Also, I've just finished scheduling our family's summer vacation. I did it without a travel agent and I know I got the best price, since the cabin rentals at the state park don't fluctuate.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was not mad when I worked. Vacation planning was EASY. Everything can be done ONLINE.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I ont even read that because when i was workign I felt good about myself. I was providing for me and my son and building myself esteem back up.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 7:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was working as a supervision specialist, doing supervised visits for parents and children who needed it, I would be mad after so many of my meetings. Parents blaming kids for getting people involved, not showing up to see their kids. It made me think I could be at home with my kids right now. I love being at home now full time.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011