Is inner city crime caused mainly by economic deprivation or by a culture that rejects traditional values?

Your thoughts?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think crime is the result of the crumbling American family - kids are left to raise themselves and this is the result.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Possibly both. . . but what do you mean by "traditional values"? I ask, because it is a phrase that was tossed around a lot during the last election cycle by politicians who thought they found just the right phrase to connect with the American people. . . but they never defined it--except for the few who identified "traditional values" as "Christian values", a point with which I disagree.

I think, though, that there is often a disconnect with those who involve themselves in crime and having any empathy for other people.  It may be a sense of powerlessness that they try to overcome by overpowering other people and/or taking their property.  I think it's a multi-layered problem.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think it's a mixture of both. And it can be argued that a breakdown of traditional values helps cause the poverty level. In the inner city you usually have more single parent families, which in turn usually leads to poverty. Nowadays it's hard for a lot of 2 income families to make it.

What I define "traditional values" as....hard work, 2 parent families/households, honesty, teaching kids and treating others with respect.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Compare impoverished small towns with impoverished inner cities and analyze the crime per capita...IMO~ I think cultural values play a bigger part than some people care to acknowledge...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Culture that rejects traditional values? Um, no.

Crime is everywhere.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Those things may contribute to the problem in some ways, but I think that any time you cram a whole lot of people into small areas, bad things happen.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• the larger problem is the widening of the gap between the rich and the poor.

Then I would think that crime in impoverished smaller towns would be higher per capita. Don't you?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think the larger problem is the widening of the gap between the rich and the poor.

-----

I agree.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Plenty of wealthy, educated, healthy, happy people are NON-traditionalists. Urban cities are often filled with ELDERLY people too, most of whom ARE traditional. Crime is easier in big cities because they are the gateway to many places, transportation is better and there are more people (both to target and to get lost amongst).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Neither, I think it's caused because there are more people in the inner city and therefore more crime and more people to have arguments with or steal from.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011