Fertility at 40

My doctor told me that by reaching the age of 40, my ovaries may not be fertile or strong enough, and we'll have to take some tests to see their condition.
OK, he's got a point, BUT since these tests are too expensive, I need to ask you :

Is it common for women of around 40 to take these highly specialized, expensive fertility tests, or my doc's motive was the money?

Thanks !

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• your docs motive was the money. a womans body was never intended to carry children past 30. that's why you lose half your eggs when you hit 30. also if your nipples don't line up halfway between your shoulder and elbow, meaning your boobs sag, that is natures way of telling you "no more babies"
    Anonymous

• sagging boobs are natures way of saying no more babies? are you serious? lol I think you don't know what your talking about.

My mom got pregnant at 40. People can have babies at 40.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately, for what I have seen of the American health care system, a dr's motives for pretty much everything is money related. In the UK, if you are over 35 you have to have tried for 6 months before they'll refer you for tests. I'd apply the same theory here. How long have you been trying for? If you haven't even tried I'd give it a go without doing the tests.
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 4:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• hahaha saggy boobs are natures way of saying no more babies then i guess big boob ladies should never have children. what a loud of crock. my grandmother had my aunt at 44 so yes the dr is motivated by money. and my aunt is 44 now. so just keep trying. i know alot of people that have concieved over 40. so anonymous where you getting your info? can't even show your name. lolol...and yes i voted you down.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• i got pg at 41 naturally
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It is God who opens the womb. Drx only practice medicine unfortunately on us lol. However they have their place in this whole reproduction thing but they can never be God. I say go at it and see what's in store for you. Be blessed
    Tylee7

Answer by Tylee7 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Is it possible to conceieve? Yes! You will have a harder time- I suggest doing ovulation tests so you know exactly when you ovulate. Also, the rule of thumb is try for a year under 35, 6 months over 35 before seeking help. You only have a 20% chance each month of getting pregnant, and that % goes down for older women. Do yourself a favor- try naturally, then go right to a fertility specialist. They can do all the same testing, but it's ALL they do, so their motivations seem less sneaky
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You might find it harder but you can still get pg once you are ovulating check your ov each month and good luck
    AngelOwensMammy

Answer by AngelOwensMammy at 8:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The older you get the harder it is. Women do not make an unlimited amount of eggs like men make sperm. Our eggs run out eventually. Your chances of birth defects go up after age 35 as well so keep that in mind. If you don't think you need the tests then don't take them. Simple as that. One of my friend's ahd her last baby at age 43 and he was perfectly healthy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I know of a woman who had a baby at 40 who was perfectly healthy and now that this child is almost 2, they are trying for baby#2! My own mother in law conceived her child at 42 and went on to have a healthy pregnancy and baby who is now a beautiful, successful wife and mother. I have also read on here many women who haven't started their families until their late 30's or early 40's and their babies have been just fine. Only God knows why some children are born to us without any issues while others have problems. Statistics do tell us that when we age, the chances of us having children with certain abnormalities or defects goes up, but I am 36 and we are TTC as well and this isn't stopping us. Whatever we are given, we will be thankful for. We have gone through alot to get to where we are today TTC after 2 recent miscarriages. Keep trying. If you have been trying for 6 months or more, you could now go to a Fertility Spec
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 8:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011