Dog & Breast Cancer : Surgery or Medicine ?

My 7 year old dog is suffering from breast cancer. Our first thought was to have the lump removed from her breast, BUT some friends to ld me that once the dog is operated, "ONCE THE CANCER IS REMOVED", it spreads faster and faster.

I adore my pet, she's so much fun, she's been our companion and loyal best friend for 7 years now. I heared that there are some pills / medicine that prolong their life and prevent metastasis, i.e. cancer cells from spreading.

Any ideas please ?

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pets

• I'm going through the same thing with my 10 year old rottie. Last Feb (2010) she had a mastectomy and hysterectomy to remove the breast cancer and unfortunately it's come back. Now they want to perform more surgery on a tumor that's appeared in her stomach, but the Veterinarian thinks that it's going to keep coming back. Our Vet hasn't mentioned anything about a possible medical treatment involving pills, but I will bring it up on our next visit. It's heart breaking to see your furry kid going through something like that. I hope you have better luck than we've been having.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would ask the doc his opinion. I personally probably wouldn't operate unless they could get the whole tumor. You have to think of quality over quantity. Good luck and sorry about the horrible diagnosis!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My golden had the same thing and once the mammory tumor was removed she never had it again. But there is always a chance that cancerous tumors can come back. But if this was my dog I would opt for the surgery. I have a cat that had a mammory tumor removed last summer and the type of mammory tumor she had do tend to come back so I have to watch for these tumors. knock on wood she has been tumor free so far.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2011