Question: Do you think the government has the right to take away your new born baby if you are homeless?? Even when you are in a shelter?

rhonda0428

Asked by rhonda0428 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No. The government should not remove a child from the parent strictly because the parent is homeless. How about giving the parent support so she can raise her child safely and responsibly?

We, as mothers, should not judge those who do not do as we would. Any one of use could because homeless at any time. I sure kow I could. I have a husband but my parents are dead and my MIL is dead, FIL lives in another country and could never afford to support my family. We don't know someone's story. So, that homeless mother may be a highly educated woman who is married to an abusive husband, who kicked her out with only the clothes on her back or the mother may be a young girl who was raped by her father and ran away to stop the abuse.

It takes a community to raise a child, how about helping each other out instead of judging?
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 4:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think the best answer is to not have children if you are homeless. People should not be having children unless they are prepared to take care of them, it's not like we don't know where babies come from.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• No, I think they should provide you with aid instead.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 4:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes I do think the state has that right. When you look around and for instance in bad weather like in the snow or extreme cold a baby should not be homeless. A newborn needs alot of care and also doesnt need to be exposed to bad elements which can exist in a homeless shelter. I have volunteered at such shelters and even though they are alright, I would not have my own kids there. I think however if the state intervenes they should also try to help the mom with getting a place to live using low income housing which is usually available.

Answer by gemgem at 4:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would not want to raise a child in the streets OR in a shelter so I would want a child in a nice home with a stable environment..that's my answer.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• yes, the state has the right to do what they deem necessary to protect the child.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• If you're homeless and refusing help, yes, I think they should step in and do what's best for the child. But if you're in a shelter or taking aid, no, I don't think they have reason to take your children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• We, as mothers, should not judge those who do not do as we would. Any one of use could because homeless at any time. We don't know someone's story. So, that homeless mother may be a highly educated woman who is married to an abusive husband, who kicked her out with only the clothes on her back or the mother may be a young girl who was raped by her father and ran away to stop the abuse. [snapdragon]

Thank you! Now I don't have to type all that out.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Even if the woman is homeless, she is still a mother. She could of became homeless through no fault of her own, but she should be able to have help too, like being able to have public assitance until she got on her feet....help her so she can help her child.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 7:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I agree with the others who said the government should provide the mother and child with some kind of aid to get them back on their feet. We DON'T know their situation and shouldn't judge. We should be more focused on HELPING people.. and giving them positive reinforcement instead of putting them down. This world would be a much better place.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2011