Is it bad to strain yourself to use the bathroom while pregnant ?

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant and i just started suffering from constipation it is bad for the baby to strain yourself can it cause a miscarriage im just wondering cus today ive been straining myself to use the bathroom .thanks.

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• not if you aren't worried about hemorrhoids..you won't lose the baby, though.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• add more fiber to your diet, drink lots of water, and stay away from dairy products and fats. fresh fruit like apples, greens/salads will help.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• it will NOT cause miscarriage. the most that will happen is hemorrhoids
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's bad to strain, period, whether you're pregnant or not...but because of hemorrhoids, not miscarriage, as PPs have said. It won't hurt the baby.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Its ok to use miralax, I had the same problem, I went 15 days with no bowel movement, and it hurt so bad. I'm not a DR so double check, but my gyno told me to buy miralax (the powder) and take it once every 3 days. It's the only way I'd have a bowel movement more then once a week for about 2 months. Like PP's said increase fiber and water, green veggies, but ask your doc about the miralax, it helped so much. Good Luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• it's bad to strain becasue hemroids are a pain (in the ass), literaly. It's normal to be consitpated during pg. my obgyn recommended taking a stool softener daily. That will help when you deliver too, since it's common to get constipated right after birthing. I took the little pill stool softener, and sooo glad they make it!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• no but u can get roids...
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 6:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Please try more fiber and water before you try miralax! It could be the iron in your prenatal that's stopping you up (plus the hormones of pregnancy can do that). You can google high fiber foods, just increase slowly to keep the problem from getting worse and adding gas to the issue, and make sure you drink plenty of water.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I am 10 weeks and have had this problem my whole pregnancy. It about kills me to go to the bathroom, it hurts worse than labor did! I have been eating apples, prunes, drinking water, metamucil, fiber yogurt, fiber cereal and still only go once every 4 days and it hurts so bad! I have been taking colace, but it hasn't helped me much so you may want ot try that! You can also drink milk of magnesium and that has made me have a soft bowel movement, but it usually makes me want to throw up when I drink it!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 8:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2011