Is it mandatory to have play dates with my 2 year old?

She sees my niece who is 17 months once a week on Saturday for about 4 hours. My mother keep trying to push play dates on me with other people. My daughter starts school in Sept. She will be 3.

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's not "mandatory" but a great way to teach your daughter social skills. Sure she is learning social skills with family but it's good to expose her to new buddies. Library storytime is a great area to do that! Plus it's nice for us moms to meet new moms
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• no. nothing is mandatory. its all up to you. i am sure she will be fine when she starts school.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Yes and if you don't the playdate police will come and fine you!

Of course not....nothing wrong with saying no!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I never did. I never found a reason for them. Kids start school early enough and I'm sure it's not like you are banning her from having contact with others, so no, of course there's no issue here.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I meant important not mandatory. Lol!
    MLM0503

Comment by MLM0503 (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was just kidding I hope you took it that way!

I myself do think it can be good but at that age you have to like the company of the mom as well. I don't believe in hanging out with someone just because you both have young children. KWIM?

If you are comfortable with the interaction she is getting now and want to keep her to yourself until she goes to school I don't see anything wrong with that!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think it's completly up to you -- but I don't see what it would hurt! That way she may not be as overwhelmed when she DOES start preschool if she has been exposed to other children.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• It's up to you. Whatever you're comfortable with, but it does help them to have some interaction with other kids. I've done a few play dates and joined a mom's club in our area, but I only joined it recently after moving to a new town to get to know people in this area. I'm usually more comfortable with the public events than the play dates and brunches at people's houses, but I've done a little of both. I like the park play dates, library story times, and an open play hour at a local gymnastics place the best out of all the activities. We usually do the library story time on our own once a week too. Most of the people I know I have no kids or they have babies, so the mom's club and story times are nice ways for me to let him interact with other kids his age or older. I don't feel like I have to do those things everyday, because I like having time on our own too, but once or twice a week is good for us.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I think its a good way for you child to have social skills and have friends.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If you want to go ahead. If not don't. no big deal. maybe find a local play group. It might get you some adult conversation! lol
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2011