What are the requirements on letting breast milk sit out?

how long can it be at room temp....in the refrigerator....and freezer.

also, if im at work and let it sit out at room temp for a few hours then can I come home a put it in the fridge for the next day? OR ccan it be in the fridge for a day and then be froze?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• thanks :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• breast milk rule 6 hours out, 6 days in fridge, 12 months in freezer
    thebeamteam

Answer by thebeamteam at 6:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• The link Christine0813 gave you is pretty much the time frames I lived by with breastfeeding. I would pump at work with no fridge to put the milk in so I had an cold pack that went in the bag and then refridgerated it when I got home. Once I had collected 3 bottle of milk extra I would freeze the extra bottles. I would feeze the bottles after sitting in the fridge no longer than 2 days. I don't beleive I let milk sit out 6 hrs but when shopping and doing things like that ice packs only last so long so the max at room temp would probably have been 4 hrs. When at all possible put it in the fridge.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2011