Kids going crazy..what do you do?

Two of them are constant fighting (toddlers)..if one touches something..it all of a sudden BELONGS to the other one..they start in tug of war over EVERYTHING and its nothing but screaming...30 minutes STRAIGHT.
The Baby is crying and just wants to be held held held.
You have the oldest doing the dishes and hes acting like its the end of the world.Been working on them for 45 minutes now. He got maybe 3 washed.He keeps stopping to go to the bathroom, to yell at the two toddlers and making them scream and fight more, to get something to drink,etc.
Sound like a crazy house???? It is. Yay me. I decided to seperate for a moment and sit here and ignore them all...well except the baby..he's on my lap happy as can be now :)
So..what do you do when it gets like this??

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 5:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Definitely put them in seperate rooms for awhile. I have a 11, 9, 3, and 2 yr old and we have very similar moments!! Actually we're having one now.. lol!! Seperate rooms for 10-15 min seems to difuse things for us :)
    mandyh0319

Answer by mandyh0319 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have one for this reason.. I would not be good at dealing with any of that.. reading that stressed me out- Hugs mommy..! I still like your Shot of Jack Idea.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Distract the toddlers and give them each a separate toy, hold the baby and encourage the oldest by telling him he's doing a great job and he's a good helper.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 5:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My mom (with 5 kids) had a rule that worked pretty well to keep us from fighting. She believed it was up to us to figure out how to get along. If we fought over something, it got taken away...nobody got to play with it for the rest of the day. "You have to learn how to get along with each other!" she would always demand. And we learned pretty quickly that she meant it.

I hope you get a break soon. Sounds like your 'bundles of joy' are jumping on your last good nerve. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You have a toddler doing dishes. Water play for 45 minutes with only three dishes washed. Seems good to me.
    Mom, you need a break.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I'm about to have my second and they will be 5 years apart. I too did this for a reason, just reading your post stressed me out! My mom was one who had 3 under 4, and I hear about moments like this all the time. She too was big on the if you don't get along you don't get the toy method. However, she also took it to the extreme of constant grounding and spankings, so eventually we just learned to fight out of moms earshot. I think she could've learned from you to walk away, and take moments for herself, even if small. I don't have advice since I have 1 with 1 on the way, but I wish you luck! Sounds like you're doing a great job, knowing when to walk away. I can't even imagine all that chaos, I'm scared what's going to happen with 2 lol
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• LOL...NO! I dont have a TODDLER doing dishes! haha
    I have my 10 year old doing dishes.
    He's done now.
    I have given the toddlers seperate toys..thats the story of my life these days!
    Its just a moment here. We'll get through it.
    Just had to seperate from it for a minute and take a breath.
    My son got through the dishes and he survived and it wasnt the end of the world suprise suprise!
    And the toddlers...well...the one just needs to go home she's cranky (I babysit her and her momma is on her way)
    Baby fell asleep...
    all is beginning to get back into order here! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My daughters are 6 and 5 (15 months apart in age) and they certainly fight like sisters lol. Some days they bicker from morning until night; when it gets to much I usually think of a project they can do - I break out the crayons, markers, stickers, and scissors. I give them each a separate task and then we put it all together on a poster board. When I run out of those supplies I put them in different parts of the room and give them each something to play with...when that fails its time out. I sometimes try putting on a movie but they usually bicker about which movie they're going to watch.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2011