Who taught you how to cook?

my mom was my biggest influence when it comes to cooking. most of the meals i make are hers but some of it i have tweaked.

i did learn a few new tricks from a close friend of mine, such as, when making chicken & yellow rice she boils her chicken then uses that water to cook her rice in. i used to just sautee my chicken in evoo & seasonings and do it that way. i find her way has more flavor.

& then there are things i learned on my own by researching recipes. and, admittedly, one or two from CM :)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My husband and Alton Brown. (not necessarily in that order) My mom cooked a little, and had a few "signature" things, but for the most part she either didn't bother or made bare basics stuff (sloppy joes, spaghetti, burgers, etc).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Mostly I did. My mom is a forgettable cook, her mother was a horrendous, scary cook, my dad is a mad scientist (with lots of bad results) in the kitchen. I grew up watching Julia Child, the Frugal Gourmet, etc., and experimenting until I got pretty good at it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My mom! My sister and I had to switch out doing the cooking. I'm sooo glad she did or else we would probably be eating out a lot ;o) I do enjoy it though so I look up a lot of recipes on allrecipes.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 5:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I did, got a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from DH Grandmother when we got married. Read the cookbook like a novel and started trying new recipes.....some we keepers and others went in the trash but over the years i have become a good cook.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My mom a little bit but now I cook her new amazing stuff when she comes to visit me.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I did - my mother hates to cook and my dad was running his practice when I was growing up, so he didn't cook much around the house either. Mom constantly was saying how things were complicated, they made too much of a mess, took too much time, etc. Fast forward to me in grad school: I'm hungry and without much money. Eating out isn't an option, so I started to follow some simple recipes for things that I liked. As I was more and more successful with recipes, I started to experiment more and found that I really like to cook and I'm pretty good at it.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Me myself and I.I got married at 16 and being the youngest of 6 ,i could cook a mean breakfast and pork chops.And yes we ate alot of it lol
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• well ive picked up a little from my mother but her dishes dont exactly make too much sense. Ive heard she puts saltine crackers in her meatloaf but its not great. ive watched enough food shows to pick up the "Do's" and " Don'ts" and different ways to make a certain meat and so on. I also just recently discovered there's so many different nationalities and ethnics to discover like besides the normal american, italian, and mexican...there's also asian, chinese, indian and brazillian and so on.

I will go on different recipes like a chicken noodle soup recipe and look at 5 or 10 different ones and put it all together and make one good chicken noodle soup. thats how i learn.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My Mom, My Grandma, My siter Mrs, Ruef is "Single Survival" in college. Lots of people actually. TV chefs, cookbooks. Other women.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My Mom and my Nana.

I enjoy cooking.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011