My 22 month old wakes up in the middle of the night screaming!

OMG....my daughter just wakes in the middle of a deep sleep....sceaming and doesn't seem to know what's going on...it scares me to death...I've been told it's night terrors!!
We live in a very quiet home, and she's not subjecte to anything scary?? The only thing my husband came up with is we did notice the few she has had has been the same day/night we maybe take a dipp in the pool...and let her go and she floats back up...*Teaching her to swim* she doesn't cry or act scared when we are doing this...she actually laughs plays, but I'm wondering if she's dreaming she's drowning or something???? HELP!

Sharon.Raquel

Asked by Sharon.Raquel at 6:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Night terrors can begin around this age. My kids never has them though, so look it up if nobody else can help you figure this out. Good luck.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Does she look like she's awake and alert when she's screaming? Does she respond to you at all when you go in to comfort her? Does she remember waking up at all in the morning? If no to any/all of these then she IS having night terrors. She is not actually awake when she screams. It is absolutely terrifying to us parents, but they don't really have a clue.

As for the swimming thing the swim teacher in me cringes at the thought of what you're doing. For 2 1/2 years I taught swim lessons to kids 6 months old to 5 years. She may not act scared at the time, but things to think about are her actions when you are not in/around the pool.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My son did the same thing at this age he would just cry even after picken him up. IT would last for about 15 min not sure if it was night terrors i was also told it could be growing pains but i have no idea. He is 24 months old and he hasnt had any in the last month or two so just hold in there.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 6:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My daughter does the samething at night. Its due to either nightmares or night terrors. I read information that if could be their sleeping pattern they are going through like if they go to bed late and wakeup late. Hope it gets better.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2011