My boobs are about to fall off.............

from how much my 14 month wants to breastfeed! She wants to NON STOP. No joke. Even when i'm not full. It's like her pacifier. To sleep, eat & go to sleep. What can I do to switch her from boob to something else? Sippy cup perhaps? Sad to say, but she's just too big/old for me to do this any longer.

ashleyxo8

Asked by ashleyxo8 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well why didn't you stop nursing 8 months ago!!! nursing past 6 months is biologically wrong
    Anonymous

• It's normal to breastfeed, ANONYMOUS. Whenever you want to stop it's your choice or even your childs. I'm ready, she's just not
    ashleyxo8

Comment by ashleyxo8 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding your child this long. Before similac...what did women do...lol?

Anyways, I would suggest a winging process. Try not to make a bad habit for her, such as a pacifier. Feed her more baby foods and cereals (solids) and try and make a schedule for her (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner). Hold off as long as you can with the breastfeeding unless she absolutely demands. Offer her milk or juice in a sippy cup (I would stay away from whole milks and research a good milk to switch her to).
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 6:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I dont think nursing past 6months is biologically wrong...never heard of such a thing!!! I think it is totally up to baby and mom when to quit....(within reason). I am nursing my 9 1/2 month old right now..lol. There are times when he wants to use me as his paci, but i just let him cry a little, try to distract him with toys, books, ect. I am introducing him to a sippy cup, but he is not too interested right now. He is getting practice with it though. He is my 4th son and i think he will be the most difficult to wean. My 3rd son weaned himself at 14months. It may take a little while, but eventually babies learn that they can soothe themselves i other ways other than making our boobs "fall off" LOL
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I said winging...lol...I meant weaning....sorry....
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 6:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• 1. BFing past 6 months is not biologically wrong. it is actually biologically normal to BF to 3 or later. Perhaps you should research what biologically normal actually means before oyu advise anyone. 2. a 14 month old does not need baby food or baby cereals. They can eat what you eat. My DD was the same way at that age. Honestly, i just tried to set up some parameters (not to her, she wouldn't get it) in my mind. If I was in the middle of something or just not ready to nurse again I would say "Not now. When barney is over." Or whatever time indicator they can get. Also, offering a sippy of water can help. So can distracting w/ play. Sometimes they are just bored. And if they need snuggle time maybe try reading. Don't worry...we got past that and now my 21 month old still nurses but is much better about it. not as demanding. She still has days where she wants to all the time but I don't let her.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• don't really have an answer for you, my longest was 13 mo. however we do have some awesome breastfeeding groups with moms who have breastfed much longer, so I would recommend stopping by one of the groups and asking. BTW, way to go mama!!! 14 mo is awesome, you should be proud of yourself!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• It will pass. its growth spurt and teething. these humps are tough, but you will miss these moments in retrospect and you won't remember it being hard.

She is, old enough however, to be able to wait a few minutes and to have manners.

remember you are not a pacifier, a pacifier was invented specifically for those babies unlucky enough to not have a mother. suckling is what tells your body what her milk needs are -- it has a purpose.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011