Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does the state have the right to take away custody of your children if you lose your job and home?

Ex: A woman was ill for several months and in the hospital. She is a single parent was married but badly abused in the marriage and finally escaped. Provided a good home for the children until she was ill. Friends stepped in to care for the children during her illness but when she got out of the hospital she found out she had lost her job and her home because of no money and became homeless. She has since found someone to take her in and they want the children to live there as well but the friends are now seeking custody because they feel she has no job and cannot care for them. She is working her way back to her life looking for a job and her own place. She wants her children back. There is only love in the home no abuse.


Asked by rhonda0428 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 7 (200 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • No the state won't take them based on these circumstances, but the friends could claim abandonment and fight for custody, making it very difficult for the mother. It sounds like this is what they're doing, and if that's the case I'm not sure I'd call them friends. Helping a mother get back on her feet after an illness is a friends job, not to make her situation worse by trying to take away her children. I agree, the woman should look into homeless shelters for women and children, because they often have housing and employment connections that the general public has no knowledge of/can't get.

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

  • No. They won't take the children unless they think harm is being done to them. There are many homeless women with children. The state doesn't take the kids because of it. She could try a homeless shelter for women & children. They have programs to help moms get a job and their own place.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Legally if she left the children in their care they could seek custody if they can prove she is not stable and doesnt have the ability to support her children. This would be likely something done by social services. At that point a worker would make a decision on who the children would be best with. The friends can claim abandonment as well, and she would have to prove she did not abandon them.

    My best advice would be for her to go to social services and they have a once in a lifetime program that gives you first mth and deposit on a place to rent. She could get a place that way and then work to get the kids back home with her.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • aww that is to bad :(

    Answer by Jazmineamomma at 10:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2011