Have you ever had a cake with fondant?

and if so how did it taste? I am making my daughters bday cake this year and was wondering how fondant tastes...

icn_mom

Asked by icn_mom at 6:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Just for Fun

• My mil is a professional cake maker so we have most of our cakes done with fondant. I am not a personal fan of the taste but know people who like it. Mostly to me though it seems to be a shell over the cake and most people remove it before eating the cake. If you need ideas you should go to cake central. They have alot of information, cakes, and how tos.

Answer by gemgem at 6:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I dont think fondant tastes that bad. Its not as good as icing, but I eat it and kinda like it..lol
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• yes i have it is too sweet for my taste. Most ppl think its too sweet. My mother in law always get professional cakes done with fondant for my sons birthday and no one ever eats the iceing the only eat the cake. I suggest maybe getting cake frosting from publix its a whipped icing and its the best. I used it on my sons birthday cake then crumbled up grahm crackers and put on top but it was suppose to be the desert it turned out great.
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 6:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• If done well it can be very tasty!

Answer by older at 6:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• One more tip my mil uses is she ices the cake before putting fondant over the cake. That way you can peal the fondant off and still have icing on the cake.

Answer by gemgem at 6:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I usually think it looks beautiful but tastes terrible. It's quite popular though, so a lot of people must like it. Or they love how it looks enough to eat around it if they don't.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Don't use it for a little kid's cake. Half the time I won't use it for an adult's cake. Because it tends to be a European icing we're not used to it in this country. I even if it "tastes" okay its not something kids are used to so they probably won't eat it. What I tend to do is make flowers out of fondant but ice it in a normal butter cream.
    ladykyr

Answer by ladykyr at 7:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• im not a fan... it looks nice but tastes gross
    Sarah26

Answer by Sarah26 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Store-bought fondant is disgusting. Homemade marshmallow fondant is very easy and quite tasty (if you like sweets).
    Anonymous

• My kids stepmother had someone she knows make the kids their cakes for the birthday party they planned for them this year. My daughters cake had fondant on it. My ex and his wife brought some over to me and I tried it. To me the fondant had like an almond taste to it.
    NikLvsNick

Answer by NikLvsNick at 11:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011