What should I do if my two year old dont let me know she needs to go to the bathroom and I am trying to potty train her?

My 2 year old doesn't let me or her father know she has to go to bathroom and we are trying to potty train her.

acruz86

Asked by acruz86 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just potty trained my 2 yr old, what I did to begin with was, when she woke up in the morning I put her on the potty If she didn't go, I set a timer for 30 min then had her try again until she went. If she went the first time I set the timer for 1 hr, then had her try every hr. I used candy as an incentive. If she actually was successful on the potty then she got one small peice of candy. You don't need to use candy, you can use whatever motivates your child. After about 2 weeks, she began goin all on her own. You will probably have some accidents, but that is to be expected. Just keep with it and dont give up!!
    merobertson1985

Answer by merobertson1985 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• try rewarding her my daughter was the same way, she do still have accidents but most of the time she will tell me now...we have a sticker page in the washroom and when she does her pee/poop she gets a new sticker to put on that page :) Good luck
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• honestly - you stop potty training... she isnt ready yet.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I was going to say also that she may not be ready. You might think of something creative like she gets to ring a bell or something. I put soap in my toilet to make bubbles. They like that.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I have to agree. Not all kids are ready to potty train at 2. If she isn't clueing it or "getting" it, I would stop and give it a few months. I would also leave the potty seat out so she can get used to it, and maybe make a sticker chart or something fun depending on what your child likes. Our daughters seat makes music whenever it's flushed, so that's her little reward. =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• She is probably not ready. Take a break and check back again in a little while. If you wait until they are really ready it goes much better. If it feels more like oyu are training yourself to put her on and all of that...then she isn't ready.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You can try some of the techniques listed, but I agree with the PP, that if she's not "getting" it, then she's probably not ready. We tried for awhile with DS and he just wasn't too excited about it. He would go if we put him on the potty, but never ask. Then one day, we just said, "let's try again" and BAM, he was all about it. It was when HE was ready.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2011