Anyone Have A Hubby or SO Who's A Mechanic?

I am in desperate need of advice, our only vehicle needs a catalytic converter and transmission replaced. All the money we had planned on moving into a home with, will now be going to this. We were approved for an fha loan, so only 3% down and our price range would be about $3,000 for closing costs. It wouldn't be such a huge deal if I wasn't expecting a baby next month. Our apartment is too small for all of us but if we pay for all of these repairs we wont have enough to get out. The mechanic told us it will be $1200 for the converter and around the same or more for transmission. We have a 2006 Kia Rio

My questions are..
1. Are these repairs that HAVE to be done NOW?
2. Is this price fair or should it be less?
3.Are these repairs we could do on our own if we had someone with knowledge?
4.Would it be worth it to put this money into it or would it make more sense to trade the car in?

DuncansMommy

Asked by DuncansMommy at 7:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't know via the internet if these are immediate repairs or not, but my dh says he would drive it until it dies. The price is fair, for this area anyway. My husband would fix it, because he knows cars and does all of our work but you would need someone who knows what they are doing. He says go to your local Midas Muffler and ask about having a "general purpose catalytic converter" put in its place - that's cheaper than what you would get from a dealer part (it's not a part that's made for the Kia, it's kind of a generic part). You would have to look at how much you can get for a 2006 Kia and make that decision based on your finances as to whether or not you want to put that much into it.

Answer by missanc at 7:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• My husband is a ASE certified master tech..and I can tell you---it sounds like you went to an independant shop...you should try a corporate place...dealorships also charge more...(but techs make less hours--even if they get paid more by "hour"). Try a Firestone company. Although certain things CAN cost a huge amount because some shops normally charge up to $85 an hour. But I still think that may be too much....I would get a second opinion...where is the shop you went to?
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 8:06 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Thanks. We went to a Kia dealership, we live in Iowa.
    DuncansMommy

Comment by DuncansMommy (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• How much do you owe? Can you sell it and buy a different used car?
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The car is paid of fortunately.
    DuncansMommy

Comment by DuncansMommy (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The dealer is ALWAYS more expensive. Get another quote from a trusted independent auto mechanic.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• For the cost of those repairs, you can find a running car on craigslist

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2011