Helping out criminals...what is wise for a Christian?

My sister in law and I are both Christians and we are having a debate: There is this local Christian car dealership. The owner hires people that are straight out of prison and/or are in Celebrate Recovery. I heard some bad things about this place...that things have come up missing from repo cars and that many people have gotten lemons there. Also, there is a LOT of personal information in the computers there; SSNs, tax return info, names and addresses, etc.
So my SIL and I were debating on what "the Christian thing to do" would be. I'm all for helping people out of a bad situation, and forgiving them for their past, but should a Christian business owner risk hiring criminals? If something goes wrong, he would look like a fool, or worse, he'd look like a criminal too. Or does he not hire them out of wanting to protect customers, and risk being called a hypocrite?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 7:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Well... let me ask you this :-)

Do you think Jesus was wise to allow Judas to be one of the 12 disciples? Jesus knew his heart long before he started stealing from the treasury.
    What about Paul??? He murdered Christians as a Pharisee before he had the profound encounter on the road to Damascus!
    Moses murdered an Egyptian but God still used him to be a leader in leading the Jews out of Egypt!
    Everything was according to his purpose and glory.
    It is very possible the man hiring these people was called by God to do so and no matter the bad. He will and does turn things around for good to those who love Him. Regardless of what we think is not the point. Its what does God think. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• First of all, you have to wonder if the "rumours" you hear are legit. I would think that as a business owner he would know of any and all bad things happening and fix them or at least learn from the mistake. He is a business owner. If he has enough faith in God to provide him with a business, employees, income, etc. then why would any one question his success or loss?

You shall know them by their fruits and he seems like a kind man to employ people that need it the most. There will always be one bad seed in the apple but the Lord works in great ways!
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• You know somebody has to hire ex-criminals and give them a chance to prove themselves. If they never get a chance then it is certain they will turn back to crime to support themselves.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I all for giving people another chance, but you need to earn it over time. The owner should have safety checks in place to make sure the rules are being followed. T

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I would pray about it and let God answer that for me.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'm sorry to have to say, I think in this day & age, he would be accused of being a hypocrite if he would not employ someone like this; although, w/o him making his business "available," how many ex-cons would come to that place looking for a job? In these circumstances, this person needs to be extra vigilant that his customers are not victimized by any such person in his employ. This is one of those "catch-22" sort of situations that I'm glad I'll never have to deal w/, since I don't have employees in my biz.
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 7:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• That's true, asmcbride. I thought that too... but you can't tell the truly repentant ones from the con artists anymore. My DH hired a guy who had gotten out of prison 6 months prior. He wasn't the hardest worker, but my husband tried mentoring him. Eventually he had to fire the guy though, because he was passing racist comments to the other employees and came to a meeting with knee length shorts that revealed a swastika tattoo.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I agree with Shaneagle, but on the other side of the coin, if you've heard bad things about the place, then so have others. Word gets around. To hire or not to hire--his choice. But if his business is getting a bad name, he will soon start seeing his profit margin go way down, then he will have to look at why that is, then decide what to do about it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2011

• thats an ethical issue in bussinnes.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Maybe he is planning on framing one of the excons?
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 7:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2011